Job Ref: 20971
Talent Area: Surg Tech
Houston Methodist St. John Hospital
Nassau Bay, TX 77058
Area/Department: OR Services-Nassau Bay ( ASC)
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Part-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist St. John Hospital is one of the newest members of the Houston Methodist family—extending its healing mission to the many communities in the Greater Bay Area. Located on the shores of Clear Lake across from the Johnson Space Center, the facility offers advanced medical and surgical care by team members called to serve with excellence and compassion:
Part-time position in the Ambulatory Surgery Center
SUMMARY The Surgical Technician II demonstrates proficient knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated tasks associated with the safe and efficient operating room support functions and related procedures. Records data established by policy and procedure and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. The Surgical Tech II is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions and practices relationship centered care in concert with the Methodist Values.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Gathers all instruments and supplies for each assigned procedure and ensures that the set-up and equipment is ready before surgeon scrubs.
2. Employs working knowledge of surgical technician role in the provision of surgical assistance during a variety of surgical procedures and surgical specialties.
3. Responsible for consis10tly demonstrating knowledge of instrument sets and proficient in the knowledge of surgical supplies.
4. Consis10tly performs appropriate skills of sterile technique.
5. Performs duties of decontamination and use of autoclave equipment. Assists with the care of instruments, equipment, and supplies following surgery.
6. Assists the circulating RN with the sponge, instrument, needle and other surgical counts.
7. Anticipates the needs of the surgeon and nursing staff to support patient during procedures.
8. Performs duties and responsibilities in the role of preceptor.
9. Maintains and accurately processes and updates surgeon preference cards.
10. Participants in restocking of supplies.
11. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves, and manages multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision.
12. Demonstrates the componets of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
13. Demonstrates the Service Pride standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go to above and beyond for 1 patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
14. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the work place.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
18 months of experience as a Surgical Technician required Mastery in a minimum of 1 or more service lines.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Must be certified by the Surgical Technologist Association or meet the grandfather clause.
Grandfather clause: The bill includes an extensive grandfather clause exempting all individuals employed to practice surgical technology in a health care facility before Sept. 1, 2009. The clarification notes that legislation does not state employed "on" Sept. 1, 2009, but rather "before that date. A surgical technologist who was employed before Sept. 1, 2009, may remain employed as a surgical technologist without meeting the certification requirement. American Heart Association BLS required.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Must pass and demonstrate skills and competency upon clinical orientation to the unit.
2. Must be able to write and speak effectively in English.
3. Knowledge of Medical terminology required .
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.