Job Ref: 21695
Talent Area: Imaging Services
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Cardio Diag-Echo
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: PRN
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: EVENING
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 73 operating rooms and over 5,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The Echo sonographer II is an echo cardiographer with advanced knowledge and skill to perform and teach a range of standard and complex echocardiograms (TTE, TEE, Stress Echo, Bubble, studies, Contrast and 3D Echo). Provide echocardiographic support with pharmacologic and exercise stress procedures, and support the hybrid OR in advanced procedures such as TAVR. Use ultrasound to locate, evaluate and record pertinent anatomical, pathological and functional data to aid the physician in the diagnosis of cardiac disease. Works closely with cardiologists, fellows and referring physicians both in the lab and while performing on call responsibilities. Takes a leadership position on quality and compliance projects within the lab.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
Preschooler (3-6 years)
School Age (6-12 years)
Adolescence (12-18 years)
Young Adult (19-40 Years)
Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
Mature Adult (65 years and older)
System and department specific ICARE values
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Be able to interact and communicate effectively both orally and in writing with healthcare providers, including other sonographers, physicians, and nurses. (EF).
2. Perform patient assessments (EF).
3. Is a teacher/mentor to clinical students and fellows.
4. May be asked to conduct in-services on new technologies and protocols.
1. Performs exams in a timely fashion to meet department turn-around-times quality requirements (EF).
2. Identifies cost saving initiatives within the laboratory and communicates recommendations.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
1. Must be well-versed in medical terminology (EF).
2. Practices proper infection control, including precautionary procedures (EF).
3. Familiar with, and in compliance with, relevant laws regarding patient confidentiality and privacy (EF).
4. Takes personal responsibility for maintaining clean equipment and work area.
5. Must demonstrate proficiency in the performance of two-dimensional, M-mode, and Doppler (pulsed wave, continuous wave and color flow) echocardiographic diagnostic procedures. (EF)
6. Visualizes all cardiac chambers, valves, and vessels, with appropriate structural and blood flow measurements following a standardized protocol.(EF)
7. Uses independent judgment and systematic problem solving methods to produce high quality diagnostic information and optimize patient care (EF).
8. Documents abnormal echocardiographic and Doppler velocities that are indicative of cardiovascular pathophysiology must be accurately documented.(EF)
9. Performs TEE, exercise and pharmacologic stress, 3D, following ICAEL and ASE established guidelines.
10. Proficient in the use, potential side effects and indications for use of contrast agents (EF).
11. Proficient in the performance of 3D, intraoperative & echo-guided interventional procedures (EF).
12. Acquire and analyze data obtained using ultrasound (EF)
13. Provide a summary of findings to the physician to aid in patient diagnosis and treatment (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
1. Must be capable of explaining the purpose of the echocardiographic examination to the patient and answering patients¿ questions (EF).
2. Will assume ¿on call¿ responsibilities as needed to insure that the department is adequately covered at all times, holidays and weekends included. (EF)
3. Adheres to the established professional performance standards of practice (EF)
4. Adheres to the Minimum Standards for the Cardiac Sonographer as outline in the ASE position paper.
5. Actively engages in innovations in patient experience to meet target patient satisfaction goals.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
1. Participates in research protocols as directed by management and the Medical Director.
2. Conducts in-services at local and national professional society levels.
3. Assists with pharmacologic and exercise stress echocardiography.
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Houston Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
High School degree and successful completion of a IAC recognized echo sonography program.
3 years work experience as a sonographer
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Current BCLS license
Must posses one of the following credentials:
Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) from American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS)
Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS) or Registered Congenital Cardiac Sonographer (RCCS) from Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI)
Canadian Registered Cardiac Sonographer (CRCS) Canadian Association of Registered Diagnostic Ultrasound Professionals (CARDUP)
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Knowledge and skill in adult echocardiography to include, but not limited to, complete two-dimensional, Doppler (Color, Pulsed, And Continuous Wave), and Stress Echo (Exercise and Pharmacologic). Basic understanding and knowledge of complete interpretation of exams. Ability to communicate effectively in English, Bilingual is a plus
Basic computer skills with knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.