Job Ref: 23422
Talent Area: Administrative/Clerical
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Orthopedics - Clinic Op
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 73 operating rooms and over 5,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The Sr. Patient Affairs Coordiantor coordinates the efficient flow of information between patients, the medical staff and third party requestors. Duties may include charge entry, registration, scheduling, insurance verification, pre-authorizations, and check in and check out functions to facilitate patient visit and ensure timely and accurate claims submission. May assist the physician and medical staff in clinic, following necessary clinic protocols and medical regulatory standards. Serves as a resource to others, including training. The Sr. PAC models Houston Methodist customer service standards, communicates effectively and demonstates effective problem solving skills to resolve or improve patient access and quality service matters and demonstrates independent judgment and knowledge to resolve operational and clinical issues.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
Preschooler (3-6 years)
School Age (6-12 years)
Adolescence (12-18 years)
Young Adult (19-40 Years)
Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
Mature Adult (65 years and older)
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to Houston Methodist¿s Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation.
1. Promotes an excellent customer service experience, mentoring others in behaviors that establish rapport with all customers. Serves as a liaison for the patient, medical staff and third parties.
2. Provides excellent written and verbal communication to facilitate patient care delivery.
3. Recognizes and responds appropriately to urgent/emrgent situations per protocols. Leads others during non-routine situations. Seeks physician input as needed.
4. Obtains and inputs accurate scheduling and registration data to initiate financial clearance activities.
1. Maintains ICARE values and confidentiality in all communications.
2. Responds promptly to requests by staff, patients, and physicians. Performs daily job duties timely and accurately and within policy and procedure.
3. Considered a resource to others in resolving patient or practice concerns. May provide training and inservice to new employees.
4. Contributes to patient, employee and physician satisfaction as well as effective revenue cycle process.
1. Complies with buxsiness practice standards and policies of department and organization.
2. Responsible for managing the flow of patients. Provides appropriate notification of issues that may result in service delays or denials. Uses good judgment regarding the medical care of the patients.
3. Keeps open channels of communication with physician, patient, and service areas regarding action taken and resolution.
4. Manages information impacting operational and quality metric goals that reflect workflow processes.
5. versees and reports on operational protocols to ensure workflow efficiencies.
1. Accurately records information during charge entry, registration, scheduling, or obtaining authorizations or referrals to ensure financial objectives are met.
2. Educates patients and others regarding billing processes and potential financial responsibilities.
3. Identifies cost saving or revenue opportunities.
4. Conducts front end revenue cycle duties per protocol.
5. Provides analytic reporting and trend analysis for various work efficiencies
1. Accountable for ongoing professional growth and development.
2. Keeps informed on system changes and influences others to incorporate changes timely and accurately.
3. Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility during changing demands. Displays initiative to improve relative job functions.
4. Works with manager to ensure operations are maintained daily. May complete front desk and clinical checklists.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
Minimum 3 years experience in a physician practice, outpatient clinic, or hospital.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Please add additional knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the essential functions.
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Strong understanding of medical terminology with knowledge of insurance requirements for physician visits and procedures.
Working knowledge of CPT, ICD-9 and/or ICD-10.
Excellent customer service, communication and scheduling skills.
Excellent problem solving skills.
Activity Checklist attached (see below)
Normal office environment
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.