Job Ref: 23583
Talent Area: Professional
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Educ Surgery Admin
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Part-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group - As one of the nation’s leading hospitals and academic medical centers Houston Methodist has brought together some of the nation’s leading experts in multiple specialties to serve our patients. As part of Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group (HMSPG), these specialists not only provide excellent clinical care, but are on the forefront of research, developing leading-edge technologies and treatments, and teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. This combination of clinical service, research and academics ensures patients have access to the latest in treatments and technologies while providing the best in comprehensive patient care. Established as a non-profit corporation and certified by the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, HMSPG enables physicians to maintain autonomy with respect to their clinical practice while growing their practice within an academic environment.
SUMMARY: Design, develop, and deploy curricula focused on training surgeons to perform new surgical techniques and to adopt new surgical technology into practice. Responsible for working with the Methodist Institute for Technology, Innovation, and Education MITIE team and faculty to develop mature curricula, develop unique tools for curricula, and production of academic output.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Must be able to work with a team of project specialists, content experts, and administrators to design, develop, and deploy curricula. (EF)
2. Will meaningfully interact with industry partners who support the curricula design work. (EF)
3. Expected over time to develop a team of curriculum development experts and the support personnel required for their work. (EF)
4. Coordinates the efforts of contributors to the curriculum. (EF)
1. Identifies funding opportunities and constructs grant proposals for educational activities and programs. (EF)
2. Able to successfully compete for grant support for the work in DICET and MITIE. (EF)
1. Links training initiatives to quality and safety efforts both within and outside of the Methodist Hospital System. (EF)
2. Assists in the design and delivery of faculty development workshops and other seminars, workshops, and courses on various education-related topics. (EF)
1. Designs research protocol and collaborates with faculty and staff to conduct educational research including the coordination of data collection, data analysis, and the dissemination of results. (EF)
2. Maintain the highest standards of service for learners who come to DICET and MITIE for training.
3. Instill these standards into the curriculum development team.
1. Employ innovative methods of performance measurement in the surgical domain. (EF)
2. Leverages the work done in MITIE around procedural competence to expand training into the minimally invasive cardiothoracic surgery domain. (EF)
3. Researches and evaluates new instructional strategies and materials. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Masters required. PhD preferred in an appropriate area for assessing human individual and team performance. Areas of specialty could include education, psychology, sports medicine, and surgical education.
Two years of experience in curriculum design and implementation. No experience in surgical education required
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Expertise in assessing technical performance
Proficiency with quantitative and qualitative data analysis (ability to use statistical software, such as R, SPSS, or SAS)
Ability to read, and interpret articles in professional journals
Ability to write reports and summary documents in a prescribed format
Ability to effectively present and communicate information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors
Ability to apply principles of logical and critical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems
Knowledge of research project management
Knowledge about best teaching skills, curriculum development, and learning theory
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.