Job Ref: 23820
Talent Area: IT/Telecommunications
Houston, TX 77005
Area/Department: Web App Development
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of five hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and six community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes a research institute, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 17,000 employees. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.
SUMMARY: Participates in the feasibility analysis for new systems/applications. Leads or plays a leadership role in the technical design of new systems/applications for all projects. Directs junior staff in the coding and/or configuration and testing needed to meet documented needs. Monitors the operating efficiency of existing application systems and provides (or arranges for) proactive maintenance. Reviews, analyzes, and modifies programming systems, including coding, testing, debugging and installing for a large-scale system. Maintains records to document program development and revisions. Provides technical support and leads the effective problem resolution for customer inquiries and to resolve production issues. Serves as a coach and mentor to more junior developers. Delegates tasks as appropriate. Leads the development phase of all projects making work assignments and holding staff accountable. Under the guidance of the Application Development Manager, selects tools and methodologies for projects. Commits to deliverables for scope of work with customers and/or management.
1. Ability to lead team members across multiple projects, and/or department efforts.
2. Strong oral and written communication skills. Must properly engage and interface with all stakeholders within and outside the organization.
3. Foster relationships and engage in regular communications within the department, IT and the entire organization.
1. Utilize department resources and supplies effectively.
2. Identify cost saving or revenue opportunities
3. Manage project time effectively to meet established and committed deadlines.
1. Ability to develop applications that utilize set standards to ensure the highest quality.
2. Ensure written software for all projects is tested and meets the expectations of the stakeholder per previously discussed and accepted requirements.
3. Manage resources effectively, mitigate risks and resolve road blocks to ensure timely delivery of projects.
4. Lead in the design and implementation of application layers.
5. Lead in the design and implementation of all aspects of application development projects.
6. Coordinate progress across projects working in conjunction with project-specific leads.
1. Respond promptly to internal and external customer requests.
2. Strive to meet and exceed patients and coworkers expectations.
3. Mentor and guide team members in achieving standards set by management in order to achieve high quality of software produced.
1. Stay abreast of emerging technology trends and methodologies.
2. Pursue knowledge of new technologies that improve productivity, workflow, production, efficiency, and effectiveness.
3. Seek out innovative technologies that provide solutions to new ideas, trends, and concepts.
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Houston Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS or similar.
5 years leading software development teams
10 years developing in the .NET platform
10 years of experience developing N-Tier applications.
10 years developing applications using WebForms
5 years developing applications using ASP.NET MVC
10 years with database systems such as SQL Server and Oracle
10 years using Service Oriented Architecture such as WCF and REST services
Healthcare industry experience a plus.
Experience in projects that use Agile methodologies.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
MCSD certification highly desired
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Demonstrated ability to achieve results under limited supervision.
Ability to effectively participate in multiple, competing, high-priority projects with varying deadlines.
Strong written and verbal communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with all levels of an organization.
Ability to think analytically with strong problem solving skills.
Ability to gather and interpret relevant data and information.
Ability to interact effectively with individuals from different countries and cultures, with a sensitivity to cultural diversity.
Ability to organize workload for effective implementation of multiple concurrent projects.
Motivated self starter with initiative.
Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
Experience with software modeling tools like MS Visio a plus
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.