Job Ref: 23867
Talent Area: Laboratory
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Outpatient Laboratory
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 73 operating rooms and over 5,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
This position exists to ensure the delivery of quality laboratory services in an efficient and effective manner meeting the needs of patients and attending clinical staff. Under general direction is responsible for functional and operational aspects of a laboratory section. Provides leadership, guidance and direction to staff. Maintains accountability for the level of the section’s performance and results. Responsible for quality, functional excellence and contribution to accomplishment of strategic and operational objectives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Participates in planning, budgeting and general management efforts for Laboratory Medicine of which the section is a part and stays within budget.
2. Plans and organizes day-to-day operations, schedule and activites of the section.
3. Sets priorities and functional standards giving direction to staff as necessary.
4. Organizes, oversees and leads work efforts as appropriate to ensure the best possible delivery of laboratory service and high customer/patient satisfaction.
5. Makes and executes decisions within delegated authority. Surfaces issues to management for resolution as appropirate. Participates in resolving issues outside delegated scope of authority.
6. Provides the leadership to have a competent and satisfied employee group by doing timely performance appraisals, providing development and mentoring of subordinates and staff. Develops subordinates to perform these same functions.
7. Hires, coaches, trains, disciplines and terminates staff as necessary. Develops subordinates to perform these functions.
8. Ensures that the laboratory meets quality standards of CLIA, CAP, AABB, ASHI and JCAHO, and that business practices comply with federal and state law.
9. Demononstrates the components of the I CARE values.
10. Maintains balance in their job to insure that they are taking care of themselves.
11. Performs other related work as required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.