Job Ref: 23971
Talent Area: Imaging Services
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Cardio Diag - ECG
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: PRN
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY (PRN)
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 73 operating rooms and over 5,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Records 12-lead electrocardiograms to produce consis10tly high quality studies. In the process of recording EKGs, identifies EKGs with possibly life threa10ing arrhythmias or waveforms and notifies appropriate persons immediately. Responds appropriately to STAT and code blue EKGs.
2. Identifies the correct Interpreting Physician for each EKG through 1 of a variety of methods, including communication with the Unit Secretary, checking patient boards, and asking the patient.
3. Communicates effectively with patients and family members to contribute to the quality of the EKG and to enhance customer service.
4. Completes EKGs in HIS to ensure proper patient billing and accurately inputs into the EKG Management System the edits made by the Interpreting Physicians to preliminary EKGs to ensure physician`s interpretation is produced on final report.
5. Distributes final EKGs and patient reports produced by the Echo, Nuclear Cardiology and Vascular Diagnostic Laboratories to patients` charts on nursing units. EF
6. For Holter monitor and Plethesmography studies, verifies physician order for the procedure. Obtains clinical history, including medications fo Holter studies.
7. Applies Holter monitors to patients according to specified protocol, with clear instructions being given to the patient. Properly documents all Holter monitor applications in the log book. EF
8. Performs Total Body Plethesmography, producing quality tracings and reports. EF
9. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
10. Demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values statement.
11 Performs other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Successful completion of an Electrocardiogram (EKG) course.
6 months previous Electrocardiogram (EKG) experience preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Maintains current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Must be able to identify life threatening arrhythmias.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.