Job Ref: 23983
Talent Area: RN - OR
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: OR Services - Fondren
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: WEEKENDWork Week
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 73 operating rooms and over 5,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
**WEEKENDS / FULL-TIME / DAYS**
The OR Board Runner is responsible for the daily management of the OR schedule and daily staffing requirements. The Board Runner coordinates interdepartmental communication with all those involved in the care delivered to our patients (i.e. Anesthesia Board Runner, Sterile Processing staff, Pre-op, PACU, Bed Control Perfusionists, ICU, Monitoring, and Cell Savers.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Describe the age group of primary customers/patients served if applicable to this position.
School Age (6-12 years)
Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
Adolescence (12-18 years)
Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
Young Adult (19-40 Years)
Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
Preschooler (3-6 years)
Mature Adult (65 years and older)
System and department specific ICARE values
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
1. Accurately and clearly communicates information regarding the OR schedule and staffing resource needs. (EF)
2. Communicates with staff concerning changes in their assignments. Does not reassign staff to another room without directly informing staff or their manager. (EF)
3. Assures that there is sufficient staff to accommodate lunches and breaks without delaying schedule. Verifies that lunch times are assigned and time lengths are adhered to. Faciliates staff receiving an uninterrupted meal break. (EF)
4. Serves as a resource person to staff. Has adequate knowledge of procedures, equipment and supplies utilized in the OR. Proficient to troubleshoot and resolve issues that may arise. (EF)
5. Staff assignments are fair and consistent taking into consideration staff competency.
6. Supervises the unit secretary to ensure administrative activities are performed correctly and timely.
7. Assists managers with organizing staff PTO requests.
1. Oversees utilization of staff during downtime, monitors overtime, assign float nurse duties. (EF)
2. Reviews next day OR schedule with Anesthesia board runner and determines room availability. (EF)
3. Confers with the Lead in Sterile Processing/Materials Management to ensure all cases are pulled and instruments are available. (EF)
1. Reviews schedule at the beginning of the shift- coordinates with SPD lead staff to see that all equipment, instrumentation, and supplies are available for scheduled cases. Informs staff, anesthesia, and surgeon of any issues. (EF)
2. Rounds made hourly and as needed including going throughout the OR to see that duties and assignments are completed by staff in a timely and efficient manner. Par levels filled, equipment returned to appropriate storage area, OR hallways/sinks/substerile rooms clean and stocked, instruments sent to SPD. (EF)
3. Gives a complete and accurate report to oncoming board runner. Ensures that all emergency add-on cases are written on the board, communicates to the OR staff and to all involved departments. (EF)
1. Arrives to work on time to address call-ins or schedule changes. (EF)
2. Rounds made hourly and as needed. Rounding is accomplished bygoing into the rooms and communicating with the surgeon and staff assigned to the room as to projection for time to send for next patient. Communicating and discussing this information with Anesthesia board runner and staff assigned to to-follow case. (EF)
3. Reviews next day OR schedule and works with the management team to make assignments based on skill and knowledge. (EF)
4. Ensures that teams are efficient and competent. Takes into consideration learning needs and knowledge base of orientees/new hires when determining team makeup. (EF)
5. Strives to exceed customer and coworkers expectations.
1. Takes initiative to perform the staff nurse or scrub role as appropriate and as needed. (EF)
2. Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility in the face of changing demands.
3. Knows when to escalate situations to the management team when needed.
4. Generates and communicates new ideas and suggestions that improve quality or service.
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing
Bachelors degree in Nursing required
2 years OR experience required
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Registered Nurse with a current Texas License
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Ability to circulate cases as required per assigned Operating Room.
Ability to scrub surgical cases per assigned Operating Room is preferred.
Critical thinking skills required.
Mentoring/coaching skills are required.
Ability to remain calm in the presence of emergency situations and the ability to use critical thinking skills to manage the emergent situation.
Professional demeanor at all times.
Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with persons of varied backgrounds including physicians, administrators, nurses, technicians, and others.
Ability to demonstrate knowledge, skill, and ability when performing the duties of the position as defined above.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.