Job Ref: 24184
Talent Area: Professional
Houston Methodist Global Health Care Services
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: HMG-Patient Services
Employment Type: Temporary
Job Type: PRN
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
With its clinical excellence, compassionate care and world-class physicians, every year Houston Methodist and its physicians treat more than 7,200 international patients from more than 90 countries. In addition to international patient care, Houston Methodist Global Health Care Services’ consulting and education divisions provide advisory services and training and development to health care organizations around the world.
Serve as an interpreter for domestic non-English speaking patients at Houston Methodist Hospital.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
System and department specific ICARE values
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to the hospital's Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation.
1. Provides interpretation services for domestic non-English speaking patients throughout the hospital and physician offices. (EF)
2. 24/7 on-call duties for domestic non-English speaking patients and will be required to visit hospital inpatients on the weekend to ensure proper communication is met. (EF)
3. Understand the concept of culture and how it affects health care. (EF)
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the connection between the language and the culture of the speakers of the language.
5. Exhibit skill of negotiating the meaning of words and ideas that do not have equivalence in the other language, (culturally bound terms such as idioms, sayings, slang and some technical terminology) (EF)
1. Provides appropriate documentation/tracking system for each domestic non-English speaking patient.(EF)
2. Understand and recognize legal and liability considerations of maintaining confidentiality and addressing situations of necessary information disclosure; including confidentiality and mandated reporting information [Mandated reporting of information - federal, state, organization].
1. Demonstrates all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
2. Understand and recognize legal and liability considerations of maintaining confidentiality and addressing situations of necessary information disclosure; including confidentiality and mandated reporting information (EF)
3. Demonstrate knowledge of HIPAA laws and their application in the medical interpreting profession. (EF)
4. Understand the difference between true and false cognates (words in different languages that are or appear to be related in meaning)
5. Utilize proper positioning, gaze, and intervention strategies (EF)
1. Complies with HMH's patient experience service standards
2. Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement and complies with Business Practices standards for performance
3. Ability to translate materials such as informed consent, discharge instructions and medications instructions stated and explained by health care providers (EF)
4. Demonstrate ability to effectively manage the flow of the communication (EF)
1. Understand that continuing education and self-development are needed to continue to improve performance.
2. Proactively seeks understanding on how service lines work within Houston Methodist Hospital
3. Actively promotes Interpreting Services throughout Houston Methodist Hospital
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Houston Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Bachelor's Degree or 5 years of experience as a medical interpreter
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
CMI Certification a plus but not required
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Advanced proficiency in oral and written English and Second language (position specific).
2. Knowledge of medical terminology and hospital operations preferred.
Activity Checklist attached (see below)
Normal hospital and clinical office environment
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.