Job Ref: 24467
Talent Area: Respiratory
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
Houston, TX 77070
Area/Department: Respiratory Care Serv
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: 7p-7aWork Week
Weekdays, plus rotating weekends
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened its doors to Northwest Houston in December 2000. In May 2010, a major expansion on the 52-acre campus doubled the size of the hospital, bringing more expertise, more state-of-the-art technology and more specialized care to the community. With 312 licensed beds, 15 operating rooms and over 1,800 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital was specifically designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
SUMMARY: The Lead Therapist is responsible for the management of patient care provided by department personnel. Actively role models and coaches the behaviors associated with the Leadership, Art, and Science of Respiratory Care. Creates an environment for the delivery of safe patient care. Assists others in developing their skills and knowledge. The Charge Therapist practices patient and family centered care in concert with Methodist Hospital`s values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence standards.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Demonstrates critical thinking, creativity and versatility in handling complex situations and problem solving. Calmly manages the most complex clinical and interpersonal situations. Recognizes when to utilize additional resources.
2. Makes staffing assignments and delegates duties to personnel to ensure continuity of patient care. Rounds frequently to assess for safety and compliance.
3. Provides clinical support and acts as a resource to Respiratory Therapy staff and personnel in order to provide optimal patient care. Teaches others to critically think by verbally expressing rationale for decisions and following up by coaching and critiquing colleagues` thought processes in complex situations.
4. Maintains knowledge of the patient`s condition and knows when to negotiate a change in the plan of care with the physician and other members of the team.
5. Acts as a patient advocate in coordinating the intradisciplinary team to facilitate a holistic and goal oriented approach to care across the continuum that meets the patient`s physical, psychosocial and spiritual needs.
6. Participates in the selection, training, development and evaluation of the healthcare team. Participates in staff evaluations by providing information regarding clinical skills, knowledge base and interpersonal skills.
7. Models and coach's content and quality of documentation. Documents the RT process reflecting the needs of the patient population.
8. Remains available, accessible and visible to staff. Provides structured feedback with examples and guides action/development plans for colleagues. Supports a blame free culture by communicating and questioning, encouraging and supporting others to do the same.
9. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
10. Demonstrates ServicePRIDE standards (Smile and make eye contact; greet each patient and visitor; seek out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; take 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for one patient or visitor; honor diversity; thanks every customer).
11. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: Graduate of an American Medical Association (AMA) approved Respiratory Care program or equivalent. Bachelor of Science Registered Respiratory Therapist (BSRRT) preferred.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Minimum of 3 years clinical Respiratory Therapy ( RT) experience, of which 1 year should be in the Emergency Room (ER) and Critical Care setting. Experience as a Respiratory Therapist and/or experience in a lead role may be considered in lieu of some of the clinical experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED: Current licensure from Texas Department of Health to practice as a Respiratory Care Practitioner. Registered by the National Board for Respiratory Care as a Registered Respiratory Therapist is required. Specialty Certification preferred. Current American Heart Association CPR required.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED: Must be able to write and speak effectively in English. Must demonstrate interpersonal skills with all levels of healthcare team with demonstrated leadership abilities through delegating functional activities, coaching and developing the functional skills of others in addition to the ability to analyze and solve problems.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.