Job Ref: 24583
Talent Area: Imaging Services
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
Houston, TX 77070
Area/Department: Interventional Radiology
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: PRN
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: AS NEEDED
Work Week: This PRN position will work as needed
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened its doors to Northwest Houston in December 2000. In May 2010, a major expansion on the 52-acre campus doubled the size of the hospital, bringing more expertise, more state-of-the-art technology and more specialized care to the community. With 312 licensed beds, 15 operating rooms and over 1,800 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital was specifically designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
JOB SUMMARY: The Special Procedures Technologist I is a Radiologic Technologist who completes a variety of routine Special Procedure exams as well as diagnostic radiology procedures to include X-ray, OR, Fluoroscopy and Interventional Radiology procedures of moderate complexity utilizing digital radiography and fluoroscopy techniques. Special procedures can be invasive, with the injection of infusion of a dye or contrast into veins or arteries; therefore, the Technologist will assist with patient preparation before procedures and perform proper sterile techniques including assisting physicians during procedures. Delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to radiation standards and guidelines established by radiology agencies to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service. The Technologist is a member of the direct patient care team. Note: some duties and responsibilities may not be applicable or expected to a lesser degree for PRN status employees; evidenced with an * at the end of the item.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS:
I. Provides personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner.
1. Performs Special Procedure exams as well as diagnostic radiology procedures to include X-ray, OR, Fluoroscopy and Interventional Radiology procedures. Special procedures can be invasive; therefore, the Technologist will assist with patient preparation before procedures and perform proper sterile techniques.
2. Provides care for the physical needs of patients by executing various Special Radiologic concepts to maximize performance. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired imaging results and recognizes complications / limitations associated with certain procedures. Proactively identifies how to address these for optimum outcomes.
3. Provides direct assistance to physicians during diagnostic or special procedures, including assisting with sterile technique.
1. Follows radiation safety standards and conducts all imaging procedures accordingly. Properly utilizes patient radiation protection and immobilization during diagnostic procedures. Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures compliance with infection control procedures. Complies with job, departmental and hospital safety standards, practices and policies.
2. Reports "near misses" and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities, and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety.
3. Ensures all imaging equipment has had QC performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed.
1. Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered.
2. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks.
1. Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities*.
2. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Technologist.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: Graduate of an American Medical Association (AMA) approved Radiology Technology Program
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: One year of experience as a Radiologic Technologist is required; experience in Interventional Radiology (IR) is highly preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED to perform the Essential Functions of the Job:
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.