Job Ref: 25032
Talent Area: Imaging Services
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: PRN
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY (PRN)
Work Week: Varies
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The Ultrasound Tech I performs a variety of ultrasound examinations, including proficiency with interventional procedures utilizing various ultrasound units for the purpose of localizing, evaluating and recording pertinent anatomical and pathological data for the diagnosis of disease. Works closely with radiologists and other physicians, nurses, and various ancillary personnel. As a PRN, employee will be available to work various shifts and hours as current staffing requires.
System and department specific ICARE values
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to the hospital¿s Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation.
1. Coordinates work with physicians and other health-care team members, including providing assistance during invasive procedures.
2. Assists in the training of students, newly hired and graduate sonographers.
3. Serves as an active participant in the Houston Methodist experience and unit based shared governance.
4. Works cooperatively, as part of the team, responding willingly to colleagues needs for assistance and partnership.
1. Manages time efficiently to reduce overtime.
2. Maintains exam room stock and supplies, prepares supplies for special examinations and orders supplies when applicable, Keeping count of the supplies to reduce waste or loss.
1. Obtains and records accurate patient history, including prior test results and information from physical examinations.
2. Prepares procedure trays and transducers using aseptic technique, labels local anesthesia and initiates the pre-procedural checklist and follows departmental Standard Operating Procedures during interventional procedures.
3. Cleans, inspects and maintains sonographic equipment, submits maintenance requests or tags and removes improperly functioning units from use.
4. Follows all patient safety rules and regulations.
5. Performs legal and ethical duties including preparing safety and accident reports, obtaining written consent from patient to perform invasive procedures, and reporting symptoms of abuse and neglect.
1. Provides sonograms and oral or written summary of technical findings to physician for use in medical diagnosis
2. Demonstrates critical thinking.
3. Is able to care for and perform sonographic studies on male and female patients of Neonate to Mature Adult age groups.
4. Completes requisitions and records charges in RIS; prepares and verifies images on PACS
5. Participates in departmental on-call rotation.
1. Reviews professional literature and has membership in professional societies and integrated best practices into daily duties.
2. Presents a polished, professional image at work and professional meetings/events.
3. Demonstrates continuous learning and growth; actively seeks educational opportunities, both formal and informal.
4. Incorporates feedback into performance improvement.
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Houston Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
High School diploma or GED
Graduate of an approved Ultrasound school or accredited program
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Required Licenses: RDMS (ABD & OB/GYN)
Required Certificates: CPR
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Functional computer skills needed with experience with Windows based products
Knowledge and experience with radiology information systems (RIS) and picture archival computerized systems (PACS)
Strong verbal, time management and organizational skills.
Basic patient care skills.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.