Job Ref: 25058
Talent Area: PA or NP
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Nurse Practitioners
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: PRN
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Functions as a primary care provider maintaining and promoting the health of the patient requiring care during the Medical Weight Management Program. Affects direct patient care according to the Board of Physician Assistant Examiners in the State of Texas and the Houston Methodist Hospital policies and procedures.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
¿ Not applicable
¿ Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
¿ Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
¿ Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
¿ Preschooler (3-6 years)
¿ School Age (6-12 years)
¿ Adolescence (12-18 years)
¿ Young Adult (19-40 Years)
¿ Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
¿ Mature Adult (65 years and older)
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to Houston Methodist¿s Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation.
1. Coordinates appropriate, timely patient care under physician supervision, for a defined patient population(s), focusing on identified expected unit/optimal outcomes individualized to the patient.
2. Coordinates patient care between healthcare providers and other ancillary clinicians within the Weight Management Center programs.
3. Participates in rounding with physicians/surgeons and attends interdisciplinary rounds with Weight Management Center clinicians.
1. Assist management with any issues they identify; assist in data analysis, and outcome research.
2. Participate in promotional activities that TMH devises for the WMC; including by not limited to radio ads, television programs, international lectures/programs and local programs to assist in growing the Weight Management Center¿s programs and services.
1. Conducts comprehensive health assessments (initial, ongoing, discharge) identifies normal/abnormal health characteristics, develops plan of care, initiates appropriate interventions, and evaluates care outcomes on defined patient populations.
2. Performs delegated functions under physician supervision, such as differential diagnosis, use of prescriptive authority, and treatment according to practice guidelines, protocols, and/or standing orders. Accepts accountability for outcomes in healthcare.
3. Provide medical oversight for assigned medical weight management clinics and programs offered at all clinic sites.
4. Review all patient medical records for the Medical Weight Management program for patients at the offsite locations to assist the Medical Director in assessing appropriateness for the program to insure patient safety.
5. Review monthly lab reports on medically monitored patients, respond to critical results, and advise on any corrective action based on the results.
6. Manage medications pertinent to the effects of weight loss (diabetes and hypertension meds) and serve as a liaison with PCPs while in the program.
7. Assist the WMC team in the development and implementation of protocols to ensure patient safety.
1. Uses critical thinking skills and clinical judgment to work autonomously as defined by the Board of Physicians Assistants.
2. Collaborates with healthcare team members to manage/coordinate patient care.
3. Promotes quality health care through integration of current research into practice and participation in research activities.
4. Performs diagnostic and/or therapeutic procedures necessary for defined patient populations.
5. Meets monthly with all Medical Weight Management patients at the assigned clinic locations under physician supervision. This may also include weekly clinic appointments at each location to ensure that all patients are seen monthly.
6. Interview all patients upon entry into the Medical Weight Management Program at all assigned locations to discuss patient¿s physical exam and prior medical/weight history, weight loss expectations and goals, and any medication changes/recommendations under physician supervision.
7. Be available to respond to patient questions/issues that arise as triaged by the nurses and provide assistance for emergencies.
1. Participates in professional activities such as research presentation and publications.
2. Demonstrates leadership as clinical resource, interdisciplinary consult, and patient advocate. May serve as preceptor for Physician Assistant students and medical residents.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
1. Graduate from accredited PA program and successful completion of NCCPA examination
2. Licensed by the Texas Board of Physician Assistants
3. Prescriptive authority privileges through the State of Texas
1. Required minimum of three (3) years of clinical experience
2. Must be able to communicate effectively in English
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
1. Licensed and Credentialed by the Texas Board of Physician Assistants
2. Prescriptive authority privileges through the State of Texas
3. American Heart Association BLS and ACLS required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Please add additional knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the essential functions.
¿ Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
¿ Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.