Job Ref: 25147
Talent Area: Nursing Asst. / Medical Asst.
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital
Baytown, TX 77521
Area/Department: Nursing Unit-3 West
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: NIGHT
Work Week: 36 hours; weekends and rotating holidays
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
The PCA I is a Patient Care Assistant with some acute care hospital experience who will be engaged for an extended orientation period to include developmental classes and assigned
preceptor. Upon successful completion of orientation, demonstrates basic knowledge and skills necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated nursing assistant level tasks
for assigned patient populations, assisting in the delivery of patient care and services under the supervision of a licensed nurse. Practices Patient and Family Centered Care in concert with Houston Methodist Hospital System’s values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence standards.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Note: define for the unit assigned
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs and assists with basic patient care activities of daily living (ADL’s) within unit specific defined limits and job scope, such as assistance with patient elimination, hygiene, comfort, safety, nutrition, and progress activity.(EF)
2. Performs and documents, where applicable, care administered, diagnostic measurements, treatments and procedures as determined by skills training and validation in accordance with established policies and procedures. Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to licensed personnel to achieve desired patient outcomes.(EF)
3. Performs and documents, where applicable, accurate vital signs. (EF)
4. Responds to the Nurse Call System, contacting nursing personnel as appropriate, and follows through with meeting patient needs. (EF)
5. Assists with maintaining and cleaning of equipment and supplies as established on assigned unit. Assists with positioning and transporting of patients. (EF)
6. Seeks guidance and validation of knowledge base, skill level and decision making as necessary, especially in areas of question, from preceptor and assigned licensed personnel.(EF)
7. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves basic and routine matters, and manages multiple ongoing priorities, seeking guidance and assistance from preceptor, licensed nurse, or management. Participates as team player.(EF)
8. Provides for the privacy of patients and families and keeping the safety of the patient in mind.(EF)
9. Assumes responsibility for growth and development by participating in in-service programs and continuing education. Completes required continuous training and education, including department specific requirements. (EF)
10. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE Values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence). Demonstrates Patient and Family Centered Care standards (smiles and makes eye contact, greets each patient and visitor, seeks out patient and visitor contact, displays appropriate body language, takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for at least one patient or visitor, honors diversity, thanks every customer.(EF)
11. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communications with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.(EF)
12. Performs other duties as assigned, which include assisting with staffing needs across the service line as competencies allow.
High School Diploma, GED or equivalent required and
Completion of PCA Orientation and assigned classes post start
If certified (CNA or MA), then 0-6 months acute care hospital experience, (exception for SNF/Rehab departments only – will accept comparable nursing home experience) or
If not certified, then 6-18 months Nursing Assistant or Medical Assistant experience, or
For HMSLH, HMWH, HMSJH, internal transfers within the hospital who have at least 12 months
experience at that entity, or
Promoted from PCA Extern
Note: TMH will not hire into a PCA I and will move successful graduates of their PCA
Extern program into a PCA I
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Current BLS Certification Required
(Must be American Heart Association BCLS “Healthcare Provider”) and
Certification Nursing Assistant or Medical Assistant required if less than 6 months PCA/MA experience (unless an internal transfer as noted above) and
For San Jac: Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) / Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) required, within 90 days, for Emergency or Psychiatry Departments Only.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Must be able to write and speak effectively in English.
Computer knowledge with ability to use Hospital Information Systems and Office software Medical terminology preferred.
Must demonstrate interpersonal skills with all levels of healthcare team.
Demonstrates initiative, flexibility and positive interpersonal skills with all levels of the health care team.
Please see activity check list.
Patient care units, and invasive procedure areas.
May include exposure to hazardous chemicals and blood borne pathogens. Significant potential for exposure to latex. Adherence to universal precautions is required.
Extended periods of standing and walking are required. Able to flex hours and work days to meet need related to unanticipated acuity, volume changes and/or problems.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.