Job Ref: 25174
Talent Area: Surg Tech
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital
Baytown, TX 77521
Area/Department: Nursery-Ob Nursing
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: 7p-7a
Work Week: 12 hour shifts with rotating weekends/holidays off
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
The L&D Surgical Technician II demonstrates proficient knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated tasks associated with the safe and efficient operating room support functions and related procedures. Records data established by policy and procedure and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. The Surgical Tech II is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions and practices relationship centered care in concert with the Methodist Values.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Varies- patient age group defined by each clinical area
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Gathers all instruments and supplies for each assigned procedure and ensures that the set-up and equipment is ready before surgeon scrubs.
2. Employs working knowledge of surgical technician role in the provision of surgical assistance during a variety of surgical procedures and surgical specialties.
3. Responsible for consistently demonstrating knowledge of instrument sets and proficient in the knowledge of surgical supplies.
4. Consistently performs appropriate skills of sterile technique.
5. Performs duties of decontamination and use of autoclave equipment. Assists with the care of instruments, equipment, and supplies following surgery.
6. Assists the circulating RN with the sponge, instrument, needle and other surgical counts.
7. Anticipates the needs of the surgeon and nursing staff to support patient during procedures.
8. Performs duties and responsibilities in the role of preceptor.
9. Maintains and accurately processes and updates surgeon preference cards. .
10. Participants in restocking of supplies.
11. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves, and manages multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision
12. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
13. Demonstrates the Service Pride standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go to above and beyond for one patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
14. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the work place.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma, GED or equivalent required Successful completion of an accredited OR Technician program or equivalency required
18 months of experience as a Surgical Technician required Mastery in a minimum of one or more service lines.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Must be certified by the Surgical Technologist Association (CST) or meet the grandfather clause. Current BLS Certification Required (Must be American Heart Association BCLS “Healthcare Provider”) Grandfather clause: The bill includes an extensive grandfather clause exempting all individuals employed to practice surgical technology in a health care facility before Sept. 1, 2009. The clarification notes that legislation does not state employed "on" Sept. 1, 2009, but rather "before that date. A surgical technologist who was employed before Sept. 1, 2009, may remain employed as a surgical technologist without meeting the certification requirement.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Must pass and demonstrate skills and competency upon clinical orientation to the unit. Must be able to write and speak effectively in English. Knowledge of Medical terminology required
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.