Job Ref: 25186
Talent Area: Security
Houston Methodist St. John Hospital
Nassau Bay, TX 77058
Area/Department: Facilities-Security Services
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: 7p-7a
Work Week: Rotating
Houston Methodist St. John Hospital is one of the newest members of the Houston Methodist family—extending its healing mission to the many communities in the Greater Bay Area. Located on the shores of Clear Lake across from the Johnson Space Center, the facility offers advanced medical and surgical care by team members called to serve with excellence and compassion:
The Security Officer Coordinator oversees security officers and serves as lead law enforcement representative on site to manage situations requiring the intervention of security officers. Coordinates and assigns security officer's work schedules, and serves as a liaison with the city and/or county police or other law enforcement department administration offices and associated agencies. Responds and provides assistance to all code silver and other situations relating but not limited to: physical assistance, patrolling and securing facilities, monitoring surveillance and access points permitting entry, radio dispatches, and answering calls and complaints. The Security Officer Coordinator makes recommendations to Security Services management regarding utilization and deployment of security officers, selection of new hires (security officers), security officer¿s assessments, and procedures for the department.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
Preschooler (3-6 years)
School Age (6-12 years)
Adolescence (12-18 years)
Young Adult (19-40 Years)
Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
Mature Adult (65 years and older)
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to Houston Methodist¿s Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation.
1. Promotes a positive work environment and leads all security officers to be dynamic and a focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Role models to team members effective communication skills relating to positive language, and assists in their development of such skills. (EF)
2. Serves as a liaison with the city and/or county police or other law enforcement department administration offices and associated agencies. (EF)
3. Conducts recruiting activities and participates in the screenings of prospective security officers in conjunction with Security Services management. Coordinates department orientation and training of all new security officers (EF).
1. Coordinates, assigns, and maintains daily security officer¿s work schedules, including providing coverage for special events. Makes recommendations regarding utilization and deployment of security officers and works with Security Services management to ensure security officer coverage at all times. (EF)
2. Provides duties of a designated fixed post assignment; security service coverage for visiting dignitaries, and celebrities. (EF)
3. Responds and provides assistance to all code silver and other situations relating but not limited to: physical assistance, patrolling and securing facilities, monitoring surveillance and access points permitting entry, radio dispatches, and answering calls and complaints. (EF)
4. Creates official reports and participates in interviewing witnesses and obtaining applicable signatures as situations warrant. (EF)
5. Serves as primary off-campus point of contact in case of an emergency and/or scheduling questions. Ensures security officers are in compliance with applicable governing law enforcement General Orders regarding ¿extra employment.¿ (EF)
1. Provides additional security officers when necessary through established systems. (EF)
2. Participates in emergency preparedness drills and demonstrates emergency preparedness knowledge.
3. Prevents losses and damages by reporting irregularities and informing violators of policy and procedures(EF)
1. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize tasks for self and other support staff. (EF)
1. Implements activities that promote workplace safety and proactively prevents workplace violence. (EF)
2. Informs Security Services management of trends related to law enforcement.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Must be a graduate from a Licensed Law Enforcement Academy.
Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education Certificate (T.C.L.O.S.E.).
Successful completion of a licensed agency probationary period.
At least 10 years of experience as a Law Enforcement Officer in either a uniformed or non-uniformed division.
Must hold a Sergeant or above ranking.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Current Texas Commission on Law Enforcement OFFICER Standards and Education Certificate (T.C.L.O.S.E.).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills and competency assessments.
Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective security operations for the protection of people, data, and property.
Knowledge of resource allocation and ability to work under pressure while maintaining a professional appearance at all times.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.