Job Ref: 25415
Talent Area: Laboratory
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital
Baytown, TX 77521
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: 9:00 PM - 7:30 AM
Work Week: Wednesday -Tuesday; 7 on/7 off
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Responsible for performing both simple and complex analyses, which necessitates knowledge of laboratory techniques, principles, and equipment and their interrelationship. Exercises good judgment by using critical thinking skills and deals with issue resolution concerning the day-to-day technical operation of the laboratory. Insures that specimens are accessioned and processed expeditiously in order to deliver quality laboratory results in an effective and cost efficient manner.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Processes specimens to be evaluated.
2. Performs and interprets analyses offered by the laboratory accurately and efficiently according to established procedures. Able to perform phlebotomy if necessary.
3. Maintains accurate and orderly records of tests performed.
4. Uses independent judgment and discretion to recognize problems, identify causes and take corrective action.
5. Generally works well with others making contributions to the work effort as a whole. Facilitates problem resolution. Communication to promote both efforts is clear and professional.
6. Performs, evaluates, interprets and documents quality control of equipment and procedures within established guidelines.
7. Performs and documents routine equipment preventive maintenance and minor repairs.
8. Readily assists in development and/or implementation of new or revised procedures and is receptive to change.
9. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement and complies with the business practices standards for performance.
10. Demonstrates high standards in providing customer service/patient satisfaction.
11. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in related field required.
Minimum of 1 year of work or training experience in a hospital laboratory.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Must be certified as a Medical Technologist (or categorical certification) by the Board of
as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (or categorical certification) by NCA (CLS)
certification by the American Society of Microbiologists (ASCP-M) within one calendar year from date of hire.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Knowledge of the functional discipline of the work area.
Knowledge of work area processes and procedures.
Skill in developing and maintaining interpersonal relationships as required in the operating environment.
Skill in verbal and written communication.
Skill in planning and organizing the work area.
Ability to analyze and solve problems.
Must meet the requirements on the competency checklist for assigned work area.
Computer knowledge with ability to utilize LMIS, systems and applications.
Indoor work. Normal hospital laboratory with typical hospital environmental hazards and
concerns. Standard computerized laboratory setting. Universal blood and body fluid
precautions are followed utilizing personal protective equipment and engineering controls.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.