Job Ref: 25441
Talent Area: Professional
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Audit & Compl - Internal Audit
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of 7 hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and six community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes a research institute, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 20,000 employees. FORBES magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of Best Employers in 2016. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.
The Senior Internal Auditor is responsible for planning, coordinating and executing reviews of processes or activities of the Houston Methodist entities. Experienced in the healthcare environment, data analysis, MS Office and TeamMate. Knowledgeable of the IIA and COSO standards. Has excellent communication skills (oral and written) and possesses a Professional Certification: CIA preferred.
The Department's vision is to provide a fully-developed, State-of-the-Art, Internal Audit function that proactively delivers value-added results to Management and Governance by providing an independent appraisal of the organization¿s risks and controls. This is accomplished by
- Evaluating risks in achieving organizational objectives and proposing value-added and cost-effective measures for controlling, and managing those risks.
- Assisting management by reviewing the organization¿s operations, the adequacy of internal controls, the compliance with laws and regulations, the adherence to policy and procedures, the safeguarding of assets, and the accuracy of reported financial activities.
- Supporting governance by assuring the organization about the state of the control environment.
1. Provides oral and/or written communication of audit commencement, objectives, status, and results to auditees.
2. Provides Internal Audit management with periodic status reports regarding progress of progress against the annual audit plan and other goals such as cycle time targets, issues identified, and barriers encountered.
3. May provide functional advice, training and directions to less experienced internal auditors.
1. Performs risk assessments and develops risk-based audit approaches and established preliminary scope of reviews.
2. Conducts a variety of moderately complex internal audits.
3. Identifies and quantifies opportunities for improvement and develops formal audit recommendations that are value-added and cost-effective.
4. Performs periodic follow-up of previously reported audit findings to assess resolution and corrective action taken.
5. Utilize the time tracking report as a tool to track the ability to complete assigned audits.
6. Maintains audit work paper documentation in TeamMate
7. Maintains appropriate audit report cycle times when possible (10 working days).
1. Applies current internal control frameworks (such as COSO, COBIT), The IIA International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing, and actively seeks knowledge of new, automated, or more contemporary audit tools and techniques to increase departmental efficiency and effectiveness.
2. Creates concise and accurate written reports communicating audit results.
1. Actively participates as an internal controls consultant in organizational.
2. Maintain a 3.5 average on the customer satisfaction surveys.
1. Maintains competency in current healthcare industry trends through networking with other audit leaders outside of the organization and through continuing education.
2. Evaluates basic controls over information systems encountered during operational audits.
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Bachelors Degree required, preferably in Business, Finance or Accounting.
5 years prior relevant business experience with another internal audit department and/or progressively responsible experience with a significant public accounting firm. Healthcare experience is preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
A relevant certification or license required; CPA, or CIA preferred.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Successful project management skills. Able to multi-task and able to perform audits within established timelines.
Knowledgeable of the COSO control model.
Possess an understanding of the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite products, and familiar with data-analysis software (ACL).
Capable of performing data-mining and analysis.
Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills.
Demonstrates a positive, helpful and supportive attitude and demeanor.
Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information requires strict confidentiality with no compromise, as well as honesty and integrity.
Demonstrates intermediate industry, internal audit knowledge, skills and abilities in the conduct of risk assessment, auditing, reporting and follow-up processes; capable of designing audit procedures for moderately complex healthcare audit projects.
Performs at a level requiring limited direct supervision.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.