Job Ref: 25459
Talent Area: Laboratory
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Pathology-Blood Bank-Donor Ctr
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Coordinates the operational aspects of the laboratory to deliver quality laboratory results efficiently and cost effectively. Assists in providing leadership, guidance and direction to staff. Responsible for performing technical procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assists the Manager in the day to day operation of the laboratory section by accessing the section needs at beginning of shift; reallocating resources based on need; initiating daily communication with Manager to update him/her of section status, problems, or any pertinent information; handling problems independently and communicating those to the Manager; assuring accuracy of time reports; overseeing implementation of new procedures; and compiling data for Manager as requested.
2. Promotes an environment of respect and dignity through positive communication; demonstrating sensitivity to coworkers needs in special/unusual situations; protecting the privacy of coworkers and patients and keeping information confidential; communicating openly in a non-judgmental and professional demeanor during all interactions with coworkers; conveying knowledge competently to new employees and others in encouraging and interesting ways.
3. Maintains professional and technical competence in the computerized laboratory setting.
4. Maintains technical knowledge of area of responsibility and proactively access processes and workflow and recommends action plan(s) for change.
5. Proactively takes responsibility for learning new material, testing, instrumentation, etc, that becomes incorporated into the section by readily implementing the new and/or revised procedures.
6. Coordinates the acquisition and inventory of supplies in a cost effective manner.
7. Assists in meeting accreditation and governmental agency standards.
8. Assures timely results are reported in situations of instrumentation failure or personnel shortages by assessing workflow and staffing patterns, as well as coordinating instrument maintenance and repairs to insure minimal down time.
9. Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement.
10. Demonstrates ServicePRIDE standards.
11. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
12. Performs other duties as assigned. Utilizes spare time to seek out and complete extra tasks.
Must have a baccalaureate degree in a related field and either successful completion of an accredited Medical Technology program, or completion of a combination of education and experience as defined by American Society of Clinical Pathology as alternate routes for eligibility for the MT(ASCP) exam.
Must be board eligible upon hire and must successfully pass the ASCP registry exam within one calander year from date of hire.
Minimum of 5 years of work or training experience in a large hospital laboratory.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Must be certified as a Medical Technologist ¿ MT (or categorical certification) by the Board of Registry (ASCP), OR as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS (or categorical certification) by NCA, OR certified by the American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ABHI), OR certification by the American Society of Microbiologists, OR have a discipline specific certification.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED: N/A
WORKING : Working in office environment. May be required to work other shifts or overtime as needed by the department.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.