Job Ref: 25535
Talent Area: Nursing Asst. / Medical Asst.
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital
Baytown, TX 77521
Area/Department: Emergency Services
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: PRN
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: 7p-7a
Work Week: 12 hour shifts with rotating weekends/holidays off
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
The Emergency Department Technician demonstrates basic knowledge and skills necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated tasks for age specific populations. He/she performs delegated patient care tasks under the supervision of a licensed nurse. He/she records data established by policy and procedure, and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. The ED Technician is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions. The ED Technician practices Relationship Centered Care in concert with The Methodist Hospital values of Integrity, Accountability, Respect, Compassion and Excellence and the ServicePride standards.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs delegated low risks, high frequency technical and clinical procedures required of patient care under the supervision of a registered nurse. Assumes the role of phlebotomist when necessary. Performs EKGs without errors. Assists the registered nurse in application of telemetry units on patients.
2. Performs unit secretarial functions when applicable. Transcribes physician orders accurately and efficiently. Types discharged instructions without errors.
3. Performs drug screen collection according to established policy, procedure, and protocols.
4. Demonstrates proficiency in the use and maintenanceof clinical equipment. Possesses level of expertise that enables an appropriate response to technical questions.
5. Participates as a team player. Assists co-workers in performing patient care.
6. Communicates with patients demonstrating age specificity. Acts as a patient advocate in coordinating care across the continuum that meets the patient`s needs.
7. Follows channels of communication for effective problem solving. Assists in solving complex issues.
8. Demonstrates the componets of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
9. Demonstrates Service Pride standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for 1 patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
10. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Must be at least 18 years of age. High school diploma, GED or equivalent required.
Previous experience or basic Nursing Assistant course is preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Current BLS Certification Required (Must be American Heart Association BCLS “Healthcare Provider”) NVCI or CPI required with 90 days of hires (SJ ONLY)
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED Must be able to read, write and speak effectively in English. Must have Computer Knowledge and Skills
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.