Job Ref: 25661
Talent Area: RN - Performance Improvement/Quality
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Qual Care Mgmt-Perf Improv
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
SUMMARY Reporting to the Patient Safety Manager, the Patient Safety Specialist identifies opportunities to improve patient safety processes. The Patient Safety Specialist (1) analyzes clinical systems, processes and outcomes to determine if the care delivered was appropriate, efficient and effective, (2) promotes pertinent and timely resolution of actual and potential patient safety concerns, (3) assists in the development and implementation of patient safety programs (4) gathers data detailing patient-related errors and conducts analyses detailing causes of errors; (5) recommends changes, policies, or programs that could prevent future errors, (6) collaborates with individual patient care areas to implement and integrate patient safety efforts, (7) supports and promotes the organization-wide patient safety program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Data Management and Analysis - Measures, analyzes, develops and presents reports, offers support to departmental initiatives and quality teams. Analyzes and presents adverse trends for review by appropriate committees and assist in development of action plans for resolution. Monitors action plans and facilitates revisions.
2. Event Review and Management - Supports the investigation and timely resolution of potential or actual patient safety/quality of care issues by means of root cause analysis (RCA), patient safety review (PSR) and other appropriate review processes.
3. Process Change - Supports leadership and staff with the development and implementation of patient safety process changes. Participates in unit-based process change activities. Evaluates the effectiveness of process change initiatives.
4. Information Dissemination -Disseminates meaningful and useful reports and provides recommendations to leadership, quality teams and point of care individuals.
5. Electronic Reporting System Review - Reviews electronic reporting system reports and clarifies information as needed.
6. Unit Based Patient Safety Leader ¿ Partners with assigned unit to bring expert assessment and problem solving skills to ensure reliable, safe systems for all patients, physicians and staff.
7. Organization - Understands and complies with core operating procedures and working instructions. Effectively organizes responsibilities and other activities for accomplishment in a timely manner. Meets deadlines
8. Teamwork & Relationships - Demonstrates ability to work with all disciplines to achieve a common goal. Proactive and effective in developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with physicians, hospital leaders and staff.
9. ICARE Values - Demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values statement.
10. Service Pride Standards - Demonstrates consis10cy with organizational and departmental service standards.
11. Safety - Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards in the work place.
12. Performs Other Duties as Assigned. - This position description is not in10ded to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS 4 or more years experience in direct patient care activities in a hospital setting required. 2 or more years experience in hospital quality improvement activities preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED Registered Nurse in the state of Texas (RN) Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ), desired.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Ability to identify and define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions and evidence patient safety initiatives by means of measurable results.
2. Ability to enter and abstract data using personal computer, as well as the ability to utilize data to facilitate the improvement and change in processes. (Access, Excel, Word)
3. Ability to facilitate patient safety initiatives, effectively present data and promote a collaborative approach toward goal achievement.
4. Demonstrated knowledge and application of process improvement tools and techniques (statistical process control tools and team tools).
5. Demonstrated knowledge of regulatory and accrediting standards as they apply to patient safety.
6. Skill in developing and maintaining interpersonal relationships with a wide variety of healthcare professionals and hospital leadership.
7. Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in written forms.
8. Ability to work independently and within teams.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.