Job Ref: 25702
Talent Area: Administrative/Clerical
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital
Baytown, TX 77521
Area/Department: Qual Care Mgmt
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F alternating weekends
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Young Adult (19-40 years), Middle Adult (40-65 years), and Mature Adult (65 years and older)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Interacts with patients/families in a professional manner in stressful and complex situations.
2. Notifies patient/families of patient care conference
3. Assists patients/families with documentation for Medical/Provider/Financial Assistance applications.
4. Assists with post discharge follow up
1. Assists social workers/case managers in locating facilities or providers appropriate for patient’s needs and provides demographic information.
2. Contacts facility to determine bed availability; providers for service/DME availability and communicates this information to social workers/case managers.
3. Obtains information from patient’s chart needed for placement/provider referral at the direction of the social worker/case manager. Ensures information is communicated in accordance with the Methodist Hospital System confidentiality policy.
5. Ensures all necessary transfer/admission documentation is complete.
6. Contacts outside facility on date of dismissal; informs facility/providers of patient’s discharge status.
1. Independently obtains price quotes from airline, air ambulance, ground ambulance, and stretcher and wheelchair van services.
2. Coordinates patient transportation, such as cab vouchers, metro passes, Greyhound bus vouchers, etc. and documents.
3. Meets with patients and families to offer transportation options.
4.Contacts insurance company for transportation authorization as needed
1. Assists social worker/case manager in copying and faxing activities to expedite patient progression.
2. Organizes and maintains the community resource files through current ordering of brochures, other written material and updates resource lists on an ongoing basis.
Managed Care Support
1. Contacts business office/patient access services to obtain information of patient’s insurance carrier or to provide updated information.
2. Contacts insurance carrier/managed care provider to determine benefits as requested by the social worker/case manager.
3. Assesses need for social worker/case manager to advocate for benefits through insurance/managed care provider.
4. Provides information to patients/families on insurance/managed care benefits and assesses need for further education by social worker/case manager.
5. Clarifies insurance information by identifying DME vendors, home health providers, hospice agencies in specified geographic locations.
1. Utilizes feedback as a performance improvement.
2. Participates in quality improvement initiatives, collects data for use in departmental performance improvement as directed.
High School graduate including courses in typing, English, and computer skills
Knowledge of medical terminology is desirable
Associates degree preferred
Minimum of six months to a year in a healthcare environment
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.