Job Ref: 25920
Talent Area: Professional
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Clinical Pastoral Education
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: TBD
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
SUMMARY To provide spiritual care to meet the spiritual, religious, emotional, and psychological needs of patients, families, and hospital employees; to assist in the planning and implementation of department services and functions in conjunction with other department members.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides spiritual screening and assessment on patients, family members, and staff.
2. Cooperates with staff chaplains to provide spiritual care to patients, families, and staff on assigned clinical units and on call.
3. Cooperates with other health care professionals in the patient rounds, discharge planning, support groups, sacred story groups, and other multi-disciplinary teams. Assists in the identification of the needs of patients and the development of patient care plans.
4. Provides crisis intervention for patients, families, and health care staff with at10tion to spiritual needs.
5. Responds to all referrals for spiritual care relative to the assigned clinical units and on call requests.
6. Participates in the rotation for 12-hour on call; delegates or responds to all referrals and requests when on call.
7. Participates fully in the Clinical Pastoral Education Residency program.
8. Demonstrates the componets of the I CARE values statement.
9. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
Graduation from, or enrollment in, an accredited college or equivalent M.Div. from an accredited seminary preferred
Several years of involvement in ministry as a religious professional or active layperson. 1 previous unit of CPE from an accredited center.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Affiliation with a recognized Faith Group.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Goal of advanced pastoral care ability in the clinical setting.
2. Above average interpersonal skills and conversational English.
3. Demonstrated ability to make use of the clinical method of learning.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.