Job Ref: 26004
Talent Area: IT/Telecommunications
Houston, TX 77054
Area/Department: IT - Server Engineering
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of 7 hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and six community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes a research institute, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 20,000 employees. FORBES magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of Best Employers in 2016. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.
A member of the Server Engineering team, the Server Engineer II, develops & executes test plans, installs & supports documentation, plans & manages initial deployments, provides 3rd level support, and vendor management for server based products. Plans, designs and recommends platform modifications or additions to increase system stability, capacity, and scalability. Provides implementation planning, management, and support during production rollouts. Monitors and controls performance and health of the server resources. Utilizes software and hardware tools, identifies and diagnoses problems and factors affecting server performance.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
¿ Not applicable
¿ Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
¿ Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
¿ Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
¿ Preschooler (3-6 years)
¿ School Age (6-12 years)
¿ Adolescence (12-18 years)
¿ Young Adult (19-40 Years)
¿ Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
¿ Mature Adult (65 years and older)
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to Houston Methodist¿s Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation.
PEOPLE ¿ 30%
1. Participate in departmental and enterprise-wide projects with an emphasis on new technology.
2. Aids in coordinating all incident response events from detection to final remediation.
3. Provides 3rd level technical consulting to the Help Desk, Application groups, business units and internal customers.
SERVICE ¿ 30%
1. Coordinates training for Help Desk staff, operations and Desktop Technicians.
2. Provides technical consultation on complex projects and general questions.
QUALITY/SAFETY ¿ 30%
1. Performance monitoring, technical support and advanced trouble-shooting of servers.
2. Data integrity, backups, restores and disaster recovery planning and execution.
3. Provide proactive Server support including firmware/BIOS updates, Support Packs, researching the latest customer advisories, implementing recommendations; ensuring the desirable server performance.
4. Package, test and deploy application packages and configurations to clients.
5. Maintaining and creating standards and documentation for Server and Storage environments
6. Responsible for managing large enterprise scale systems from technologies in both Windows and Open systems stacks.
7. Establishes performance standards, policies and procedures.
FINANCE ¿ 5%
1. Researches and evaluates vendor proposal for the standardization of hardware and software solutions.
2. Helps assess usage to determine if we can remove applications and support from legacy systems
GROWTH/INNOVATION ¿ 5%
1. Assist in the design, deployment and documentation options for new applications and infrastructure implementations that fit within the vision of IT Infrastructure.
2. Advance existing technologies as new versions are released.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
High School or Technical School Diploma required.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or MIS preferred
Please state minimum experience needed to perform the essential functions.
1. 6 + years IT experience.
2. 4 + years of administration experience in Microsoft Server Operating Systems.
3. 3 + years server administration experience in a large networked environment.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
One Multi-tier IT Certification in area of concentration required: IBM, MCSA/MCSE, RHCE, VCP, CCNP, or Citrix
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Please add additional knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the essential functions.
¿ Experience in supporting VMWARE ESXi Environment.
¿ Experience in supporting a large Citrix Xenapp/Xendesktop environment
¿ Expert Knowledge of Windows Server Operating Systems, NTFS permissions, Performance Analysis and Active Directory configuration/support.
¿ Solid understanding of Active Directory and Windows Networking (DNS, DHCP, WINS).
¿ Experience with MS Exchange 2007/2010, ActiveSync, and Blackberry.
¿ Experience with Windows clusters and hardware load-balancing solutions.
¿ Solid IIS experience, including support and security lockdown of IIS protocols.
¿ Experience in supporting and configuring Server hardware and SAN Disk.
¿ Knowledge of all major storage protocols
¿ Storage experience: IBM and/or NetApp.
¿ Experience in capturing and repackaging software installs into MSI for deployment via SCCM.
¿ Experience in System Center Configuration Manager to remotely deploy applications and configure systems is desired.
¿ Experience in working with enterprise fax solutions like Right Fax that translate faxes to emails or print jobs or files
¿ Experience with Deploying and Troubleshooting MS SQL and Oracle databases.
¿ Experience with AIX Operating Systems.
¿ Experience with IBM TSM backup solution.
¿ Excellent troubleshooting, root cause analysis and permanent problem resolution skills.
¿ Ability to manage detailed tasks efficiently and effectively
¿ Good project management skills.
¿ Excellent customer service skills.
¿ Excellent verbal and written communication skills
¿ Ability to communicate technical proposals to supervisors and management
¿ Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
¿ Complex problem analysis and recovery
¿ Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
¿ Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.