Job Ref: 26199
Talent Area: Laboratory
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
Houston, TX 77070
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: NIGHTWork Week
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened its doors to Northwest Houston in December 2000. In May 2010, a major expansion on the 52-acre campus doubled the size of the hospital, bringing more expertise, more state-of-the-art technology and more specialized care to the community. With 312 licensed beds, 15 operating rooms and over 1,800 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital was specifically designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
JOB SUMMARY: Performs both simple and complex analysis, which necessitates knowledge of laboratory techniques, principles, and equipment and their interrelationship.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Processes specimens to be evaluated.
2. Performs and interprets analyses offered by the laboratory accurately and efficiently according to established procedures. Able to perform phlebotomy if necessary.
3. Maintains accurate and orderly records of tests performed.
4. Uses independent judgment and discretion to recognize problems, identify causes and take corrective action. Facilitates problem resolution.
5. Generally works well with others making contributions to the work effort as a whole. Facilitates problem resolution. Communication to promote both efforts is clear and professional.
6. Performs, evaluates, interprets and documents quality control of equipment and procedures within established guidelines.
7. Performs and documents routine equipment preventive maintenance and minor repairs.
8. Assists in training new employees as assigned by Coordinator / Manager / Director.
9. Readily assists in development and/or implementation of new or revised procedures.
10. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence).
11. Demonstrates Customer Service standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for one patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
12. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
13. Performs other duties as assigned, which include assisting with staffing needs across the service line as competencies allow.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor degree in a related field required
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Minimum of 1 year of work or training experience in a hospital laboratory.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED: Must be certified as a Medical Technologist – MT (or categorical certification) by the Board of Registry (ASCP), OR as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist – CLS (or categorical certification) by NCA, OR certification by the American Society of Microbiologists within one calendar year from date of hire.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.