Job Ref: 26223
Talent Area: Food Service
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Food&Nutr Serv
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Part-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: EVENINGWork Week
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The position of Clinical Nutrition Assistant II is responsible for performing customer-oriented telephone activities and various background operational duties relating to obtaining Room Service orders and the entry of meal selections via the departmental computerized software. For patients on Traditional Menu Service, the CNAII organizes menus by unit and utilizes departmental computerized software to supplement menus for patient meals that have not been ordered. Responsible for the calculation; delivery and charging of enteral nutrition products to the patients bedside or patient care unit.
Completes approved number of required customer service and/or diet knowledge inservices. Always uses the ICARE values and Service Pride standards. Communicates with peers and management regarding identified hazards in the work place. Follows all safety/sanitation rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Follows all departmental policies and procedures and must comply with the City of Houston Food Ordinance.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Anticipates the need of the patient and responds appropriately
2. Interacts with patients, family members and/or nursing on a daily basis.
3. Works with the Clinical Nutrition Assistant I to ensure patients selections are communicated to Trayline.
4. Communicates clearly to convey information effectively whether verbally or in writing.
5. Communicates with unit and on-call Dietitian to clarify discrepancies in diet orders and to ensure patient needs are met.
6. Promotes, develops and sustains teamwork.
1. Possesses, displays and maintains a patient centered and service minded attitude toward patients
2. Demonstrates active listening skills in giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate and not interrupting at inappropriate times
3. Demonstrates proper phone etiquette
4. Actively looks for ways to help people.
5. Demonstrates skills and ability to assist customers (e.g., patients, nursing, family members, physicians, intradepartmental staff) in obtaining services and respond in a timely manner to customers requesting assistance.
6. Makes good use of time.
7. Demonstrates the ability to dispatch orders in a timely manner upon receipt.
8. Enters census for trays provided to guest and outpatient areas.
9. Demonstrates the ability to accurately enter Room Service orders into the computerized departmental software.
10. Demonstrates competency in utilizing the computerized departmental software in recording information (allergies, late/hold, paper service, notes, etc) in the proper manner so that concise instructions relating to patient care are maintained and followed.
11. Demonstrates ability to effectively operate without error the following types of equipment: hospital phone system, wireless paging, fax machine, laser printers, and copier.
12. Able to navigate and confirm patients diet orders and notes in MethOD.
13. Follows the proper procedure for guest trays and Fondren 12 trays (FNS-PS 366).
1. Adheres to hospital polices and procedures regarding patients rights, privacy and confidentiality.
2. Matches the HIS (Hospital Information System) and CBORD patient meal worksheets with the computerized departmental software sheets to determine accuracy of information received through the orders interface.
3. Confers with patients by phone to obtain their Room Service meal request using the computerized departmental software.
4. Displays appropriate knowledge of diets when negotiating alternatives to selections when items requested are not allowed on the patients diet or when greater variety is needed, offers items from the Or if You Would Prefer Menu to increase patient satisfaction with service.
5. Resolves promptly any issues, which may occur with any of the patient dining services programs and refers complaints to the appropriate departmental staff member for investigation and follow up.
6. Properly enters menu selections for patients on paper menus with accuracy and consistency.
7. Utilizes proper procedure for handling, sorting, inputting and tallying traditional menus.
8. Utilizes proper procedure for processing outpatient center menus, research study patient menus, WP 9/10 test trays and dining room list, and others menus as needed.
9. Communicates pertinent information (difficulty eating, poor appetite, nourishment concerns, formula usage, requests to see the Dietitian, nutrition consult orders) to ensure proper handling and timely processing of information.
10. Produces and promotes activities that provides high quality results in a timely manner.
11. Demonstrates effective organizational skills to ensure that the workload is processed quickly and efficiently.
12. Provides accurate documentation of work performed.
1. Inventories and keeps office supplies at pre-established amounts to reduce waste and stay within budgeting funds.
2. Charges and credits patients for the appropriate amounts of enteral products delivered or returned.
3. Demonstrates skills and ability to utilize the Excel software in the documentation of pertinent census data (e.g. tray delivery times, guest trays, outpatient trays, enteral products) for use in completing financial reporting
1. Demonstrates skills and initiative in problem-solving and improving productivity.
2. Demonstrates skills and ability to handle complaints and resolves problems in the absence of the Supervisor/Team Leader.
3. Utilizes good judgment in professional decision-making.
4. Demonstrates skills and ability to obtain as well as analyze pertinent information in order to make informed decisions.
5. Develops and maintains a working knowledge and understanding of the HIS, MethOD and CBORD systems as well as the computerized departmental software system and office equipment.
6. Demonstrates the ability to utilize the HIS, MethOD and CBORD systems to accurately note patient preferences using information received from the tray check sheets, fax machines, printer, patient, nursing or the Dietitian/Dietetic Technician.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
High School Diploma or GED required.
Minimum of 1-year diet office, dietetic field or call center experience required. Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Preferred: Current Food Service Managers Certification from the Houston Department of Health and Human Services
Texas Food Handlers Certificate through American National Standards Institute (ANSI) is required effective 9/1/2016.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
2. Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
3. Minimum typing skills of 35 wpm
4. The ability to engage in multiple activities simultaneously, maintain accurate records and timely turnaround and completion of orders.
5. Must demonstrate competency in standard software applications (Outlook, Excel) and the ability to use HIS, MethOD and CBORD as well as the computerized departmental software system.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.