Job Ref: 26224
Talent Area: Food Service
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Food&Nutr Serv
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Part-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: EVENINGWork Week
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The employee is assigned to work in food service department areas and perform duties such as assisting in tray assembly for patients, simple food preparation, serving customers and set up to include replenishing stations. Transports food carts to and from kitchen areas to Patient Care Units and/or Conference Service Rooms in a timely manner always using the ICARE values and Service Pride standards. Communicates with peers and management regarding identified hazards in the work place. Follows correct procedures in cleaning of equipment and sanitation of work areas, along with special cleaning as assigned. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Follows all departmental policies and procedures and must comply with the City of Houston Food Ordinance. Performs other duties as assigned.
POPULATION GROUP SERVED
Visitors, hospital staff, and patients (adult, geriatric, pediatric and adolescents).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists with assembling of trays on Tray-line as needed.
2. Responsible for transporting trays for patients on Room Service and Traditional Service as needed.
3. Delivers trays with accuracy and efficiency to designated locations to achieve established time frame of 45 min. or less for Room Service meal delivery.
4. Maintains technical and professional expertise.
5. Demonstrates active listening skills giving full attention to what other people are saying.
6. Transports pantry supplies to designated areas.
7. Follows proper procedure in loading and transporting of food trucks to prevent spillage and delay of meal delivery to the patient.
8. Maintains food cart delivery log.
9. Collects soiled trays and carts as needed to prevent excess accumulation on the units and maintain efficiency in the dish room process. Returns soiled tray, retrieval of carts to the units in a timely manner.
10 Works in the dish room as assigned.
11. Packages silverware or plastic ware as requested for patient trays. Assists with matting of trays and transports clean tray components to the designated areas throughout the kitchen.
12. Transporting trash, garbage, cardboard and supplies to assigned areas.
13. Follows through with resolving any problems and providing the Supervisor with a full report when patient food service problems are identified.
14. Prepares simple food items such as coffee, tea, toast, etc. Labels and dates foods to ensure freshness and in accordance with date labeling requirements of the Food Ordinance.
15. Stores and handles food properly.
16. Completes approved number of required departmental customer service and diet knowledge inservices.
RETAIL, CATERING, DOCTORS COFFEE BAR
1. Prepares the service line for the menu items offered during that meal period. Follows the menu paying close attention to details.
2. Ensures the service area is clean and sanitized.
3. Reviews menus the day before to ensure supplies are in house. Utilizes down time to do pre-preparation of setups to ensure menus are ready at the specified time.
4. Labels and dates all food items for storage. Properly rotates food items. Minimizes food waste through portion control. Ensures all expired food is discarded.
5. Maintains clean orderly storage areas with all food items visible in clear covered storage containers.
6. Prepares Catering set-ups utilizing CBORD Event Master report and fills orders.
7. Orders delivered accurately, promptly, and at the specified time. Follows the menu paying close attention to details.
8. Makes contact with the meeting planner, who booked the event at the time of service to ensure the acceptance of the delivery. Makes changes as necessary.
9. Ensures food served is presented attractively and is held at the proper temperature.
10. Assists in the preparation of pizzas, salads, sandwiches, and dessert items.
11. Reviews menus the day before to ensure supplies are in house. Utilizes down time to do pre-preparation of setups to ensure menus are ready at the specified time.
12. Labels and dates all food items for storage. Properly rotates food items. Minimizes food waste through portion control.
13. Ensures all food beyond the expiration date is discarded.
14. Maintains clean orderly storage areas with all food items visible in clear covered storage containers.
15. Works in conjunction with the Catering Coordinator, Cook, Cooks Helper and
16. Catering staff as part of a team ensuring each delivery is prepared, and on time.
17. Assists in the preparation of pizzas, salads, and desserts when necessary.
18. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the work place.
High school graduate or GED desired.
No experience necessary. One year experience in food service desired
CERTIFICATES, LICENCES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Texas Food Handlers Certificate through American National Standards Institute (ANSI) is required effective 9/1/2016.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Ability to read, write and speak basic English desired.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.