Job Ref: 26239
Talent Area: Professional
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Facilities-Maint-Central Shop
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Performs multiple aspects of applied carpentry in the maintenance of TMH facilities. Designs, builds, and/or modifies items of various materials such as wood, plastic laminate, etc. Items include cabinets, furniture, countertops, shelving, fixtures, etc. Maintains integrity of facility infrastructure as related to carpentry by repairing and/or modifying doors, ceilings, floors and walls. Performs installation activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Designs, builds and installs custom items of various materials such as wood, plastic laminate, etc. throughout TMH. Items include cabinets, furniture, countertops, shelving, fixtures, etc.
2. Repairs, replaces, modifies and installs existing items and aspects of facility infrastructure throughout TMH. Items include cabinets, furniture, countertops, shelving, fixtures, etc. Aspects of facility infrastructure include doors, ceilings, floors, walls and partitions.
3. Measures, calculates design and material needs, estimates costs, and orders materials. Meets with various TMH departments to determine their needs for special cabinet, storage, work areas, etc.
4. Conducts coordinating activities. Schedules jobs and adjusts for changing priorities. Works with other skilled trades shops to schedule various related work. Completes daily activity paperwork including record time and material expenditures on projects and work orders.
5. Uses tools and equipment appropriately. Knows when and how to use tools and equipment to perform the job in an efficient, effective and safe manner. Consistently uses tools and equipment correctly on the job.
6. Provides the information necessary to maintain the system of metrics designed to measure FMS effectiveness at timely responsiveness to work order tickets created through appropriate dispatch service. Adjusts work activities and timelines as necessary to optimize response time on work order trouble tickets (e.g. average time to close tickets).
7. Maintains and contributes to a safe work environment. Adheres to all safety policies, procedures and practices, including the wearing of protective clothing and gear. Consistently uses tools and equipment correctly on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects or reports safety hazards.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
9. Models the behaviors embodied in the ICARE values. Treats patients and colleagues with compassion, respect and dignity. Hears, considers and values the beliefs and opinions of others and works to cooperatively resolve problems. Delivers on commitments in a responsible and timely fashion. Demonstrates pride in the organization.
10. Consistent with the ICARE Values and the expectations of a committed team member, performs other duties as requested or assigned.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Journeyman license or continued education in a formalized technical or trade school or in an approved training program is highly preferred.
3 to 6 years experience in a healthcare environment or similar general maintenance capacity. Additional experience may substitute for formal education. Must be able to demonstrate general technical knowledge of equipment normally associated with their area of expertise.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Journeyman license or equivalent certification is desirable.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Must have the ability to effectively communicate concepts, standards and instructions to others verbally and in writing.
2. Must possess general technical skills and must have sufficient service with the Hospital to acquire a complete knowledge of relevant systems and equipment, or alternatively, brings a specialized body of knowledge which may be applied with less service.
3. Knowledge of associated computer operation and programs may be required.
4. Must have strong interpersonal skills as-well-as the ability to build and sustain relationships with colleagues and customers.
Physical requirements include ability to: walk, run, climb, crawl, sit, stand, twist, bend, stoop, squat, kneel, and lift/push/pull up to fifty pounds. Job requirements include general vision, hearing/listening, speaking English clearly, touch/feel with hand, finger, dexterity and sensitivity. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.