Job Ref: 26284
Talent Area: Laboratory
Pearland Emergency Care Center
Pearland, TX 77584
Area/Department: Core Laboratory
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: PRN
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: NIGHTWork Week
Performs all repetitive tests which necessitates a knowledge of laboratory techniques and instruments, and the ability to recognize factors which directly affect procedures and results.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Processes specimens to be evaluated.
2. Performs repetitive analyses offered by the section accurately and efficiently according to established procedures
3. Maintains accurate and orderly records of tests performed
4. Performs, evaluates, interprets and documents quality control of equipment and procedures within established guidelines.
5. Performs routine equipment preventive maintenance and minor repair
6. Recognizes problems, identifies causes, and takes corrective action and consults a medical technologist or manager if no preset criteria are available
7. Conveys knowledge competently to students, new employees, and others in encouraging and interesting ways
8. Generally works well with others making contributions to the work effort as a whole. Facilitates problem resolution. Communication to promote both efforts is clear and professional.
9. Readily implements new and revised procedures.
10. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values state
11. Demonstrates ServicePRIDE standards.
12. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
13. Performs other duties as assigned. Utilizes spare time to seek out and complete extra tasks.
Must have an associate’s degree in a related field and either successful completion of an accredited Medical Laboratory Technician program, or completion of a combination of education and experience as defined by American Society of Clinical Pathology as alternate routes for eligibility for the MLT (ASCP) exam.
Minimum of one year of work or training experience in a large hospital laboratory.
Must be certified as a Medical Laboratory Technician – MLT (or categorical certification) by the Board of Registry (ASCP). Must be board eligible upon hire and must successfully pass the ASCP registry exam within one calendar year from date of hire.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.