Job Ref: 26288
Talent Area: Nurse Practitioner
Houston Methodist West Hospital
Houston, TX 77094
Area/Department: Nurse Practitioners
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Part-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
NIGHT, 18:00-07:00AM 3 night shifts every 2 weeks
M - F, to include weekends and holidays
Houston Methodist West Hospital is committed to leading medicine in West Houston, Katy and surrounding communities by delivering the Houston Methodist standard of exceptional safety, quality, personalized service and innovation. The growing campus offers nearly 200 beds, 16 operating rooms and over 1300 employees, with access to the most innovative medical and surgical care available, including robotic and minimally invasive surgery, full-spectrum heart care, state-of-the-art imaging, cancer care, labor and delivery with a level II neonatal ICU, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, outpatient rehabilitation and 24/7 emergency services.
SUMMARY: Functions as a clinical provider in various areas including but not limited to intensive care units, intermediate care units and emergency response teams while maintaining and promoting the health of the patient requiring acute care. Affects direct patient care according to the nurse practice act of the State of Texas and The Houston Methodist Standards of Nursing Care policies and procedures.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Demonstrates leadership as clinical resource, interdisciplinary consult, and patient advocate.
2. Serves as preceptor for Nurse Practitioner students and medical resident(s).
1. Manages schedule and staffing for assigned service lines.
2. Coordinates appropriate, timely patient care from unit admission to unit discharge, under physician supervision, for a defined patient population(s), focusing on identified expected unit/optimal outcomes individualized to the patient.
3. Coordinates patient care between healthcare providers. ¿Rounds¿ with physicians/surgeons and attends interdisciplinary rounds.
4. Conducts comprehensive health assessments (initial, ongoing, discharge), identifies normal/abnormal health characteristics, develops plan of care, initiates appropriate interventions, and evaluates care outcomes on defined patient populations(s).
5. Performs delegated functions under physician supervision, such as differential diagnosis, use of prescriptive authority, and treatment according to practice guidelines, protocols, and/or standing orders.
6. Accepts accountability for outcomes in health care.
7. Performs invasive diagnostic or therapeutic procedures necessary for defined patient population(s).
8. Uses critical thinking skills and clinical judgment to work autonomously as defined by the Nurse Practice Act. Collaborates with healthcare team members to manage/coordinate patient care.
1. Initiates outcome and quality improvement activities including benchmarking for NP practice. (EF)
2. Maintains current licensure and credentials. Remains current in practice
3. Follows all safety rules and policies and attends all required training in a timely manner. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with staff and management regarding any hazards in the workplace. (EF)
1. Measures and analyzes resource allocation based on patient needs and staff experience, knowledge, and skills; contributes to unit plans for resource utilization and capital needs. (EF)
2. Contributes to meeting departmental financial target on unit-based scorecard. (EF)
1. Promotes quality health care through integration of current research into practice and participation in research activities.
2. Participates in professional activities such as research, presentations, and publications.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Master's Degree in Nursing
Three (3) years of clinical nursing experience
Three (3) years in Advanced Practice role preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Registered Nurse with current Texas license
Recognized by the Texas Board of Nursing as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (ACNP) or Acute Care Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner (AG-ACNP)
Certified by ANCC or AANP as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (ACNP) or (AG-ACNP)
American Heart Association BLS
Prescriptive authority privileges through the State of Texas
American Heart Association ACLS and PALS must be obtained within 6 months of hire
Fundamental Critical Care Support (FCCS) training through the Society of Critical Care Medicine must be obtained within 6 months of hire
Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration must be obtained within 6 months of hire
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Must be able to communicate effectively in English
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.