Job Ref: 26307
Talent Area: RN - Performance Improvement/Quality
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
Houston, TX 77070
Area/Department: Qual Care Mgmt
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since 1998, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital has been serving Fort Bend and the surrounding counties. Residents have come to rely on a level of compassionate care and leading-edge technology that was once available only in the Texas Medical Center. With 243 licensed beds, 20 operating rooms and over 1,900 employees, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital was designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
SUMMARY: The Infection Control Practitioner is responsible for implementing and maintaining the multiple facets of the Infection Control Program of the Hospital. He/she is a liaison between all departments and the Infection Control Committee. This individual maintains a routine surveillance program of patients, personnel, and the environmental problems that present a real or potential threat to the welfare of patients, visitors, or personnel throughout the institution. Serves as Co-chair of the Infection Control Committee. Assures compliance with JCAHO and regulatory requirements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Maintains a practical surveillance program which incorporates the systematic and current review of nosocomial infections using written, previously defined and approved criteria, significant communicable diseases, and environmental problems with known or suspect infectious potential. Prepares statistics and other reports as assigned.
2. Recognizes and investigates clusters of infections, exceeding endemic conditions.
3. Evaluates (at least annually) and documents the effectiveness of the Infection Control Plan. Develops & revises policies & procedures to meet current practice standards.
4. Assists in the development and/or implementation of improved infection control measures and the development and presentation of programs for orientation and continuing education relevant to infection prevention and control throughout the hospital, including product selection.
5. Communicates all pertinent information at timely intervals to the Director of Performance Improvement and Medical Director of Infection Control as appropriate. Communicates appropriate information to state and local Health Authorities as necessary. Maintains patient and physician confidentiality.
6. Coordinates with others for the investigation, identification, and follow-up of contacts exposed to communicable diseases. (This activity shall include the notification of and follow through with the Occupational Health Nurse when such contacts have involved Hospital personnel.)
7. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement.
8. Demonstrates ServicePRIDE Standards.
9. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) preferred or BS in Medical Technology or Microbiology or Master's in Public Health.
Minimum of 3 - 5 years experience in Infection Control in an acute care setting is required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Registered Nurse with a current Texas license (preferred), Medical Technologist or Microbiologist. Certification in Infection Control prefered.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.