Job Ref: 26362
Talent Area: Nurse Practitioner
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Med GI/Hep Mid-Levels
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Functions as a primary care provider maintaining and promoting the health of the patient. Affects direct patient care according to the nurse practice act of the State of Texas and The Methodist Standards of Nursing Care policies and procedures.
Serves all age groups
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Coordinates appropriate, timely patient care under physician supervision, for a defined patient population in an outpatient setting, focusing on identified outcomes individualized to the patient.
2. Coordinates patient care between healthcare providers
3. Conducts comprehensive health assessments, identifies normal/abnormal health characteristics, develops plan of care, initiates appropriate interventions, and evaluates care outcomes.
4. Performs delegated functions under physician supervision, such as differential diagnosis, use of prescriptive authority, and treatment according to practice guidelines, protocols, and/or standing orders. Accepts accountability for outcomes in health care.
5. Requests invasive diagnostic or therapeutic procedures necessary to assist in establishing defined patient outcomes.
6. Uses critical thinking skills and clinical judgment to work autonomously as defined by the Nurse Practice Act. Collaborates with healthcare team members to manage/coordinate patient care.
7. Demonstrates leadership as clinical resource, interdisciplinary consult, and patient advocate. Serves as preceptor for Nurse Practitioner students and medical resident(s).
8. Promotes quality health care through integration of current research into practice and participation in research activities.
9. Maintains current licensure and credentials. Remains current in practice.
10. Participates in professional activities.
11. Demonstrates the components of ICARE values statement.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in Nursing.
Required minimum three (3) years of clinical nursing experience.
Prefer a minimum of 2 years in Advanced Practice role.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Registered Nurse with current Texas license
Credentialed by the Texas Board of Nursing as Advanced Practice Nurse(NP)
Prescriptive authority privileges through the State of Texas
Requires American Heart Association BLS certification.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Must be able to communicate effectively in English
Prolonged standing and walking
Must be able to lift, mobilize, and assist patients as needed in order to complete examinations/procedures.
Direct patient contact
Universal precautions required
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.