Job Ref: 26408
Talent Area: Cath Lab
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
Houston, TX 77070
Area/Department: Cardiac Cath Lab
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAYWork Week
Works Monday-Friday from 7am-3pm, plus 8-10 days of call per month including one weekend per month
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened its doors to Northwest Houston in December 2000. In May 2010, a major expansion on the 52-acre campus doubled the size of the hospital, bringing more expertise, more state-of-the-art technology and more specialized care to the community. With 312 licensed beds, 15 operating rooms and over 1,800 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital was specifically designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for performing highly specialized radiologic procedures that provide valuable medical information used in determining the medical treatment of patients. The Cath Lab Radiology Technologist II has special training and expertise in cardiovascular procedures directly related to the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory as well as Neuro Radiology and Electrophysiology.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Can work independently in both Cardiac Cath Lab, to include Neuro Radiology procedures, and Electrophysiology Lab. This includes but is not limited to: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Operates all special procedure equipment and can select and modify technical factors as needed.
2. Acts as a resource for specialized or complicated procedures; consistently applies knowledge from complex situations to improve practice, and shares improvements with team members.
3. Provides protection to patients in accordance with prescribed radiation safety standards; uses collimation, patient radiation protection, and immobilization.
4. Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures; regularly practices aseptic techniques; strictly obeys isolation and infection control procedures.
5. Responsible for all cardiac cath equipment, such as C-Arm, angiographic injectors, and associated patient monitoring equipment; reports any malfunctions and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; demonstrates the ability to perform simple troubleshooting and repair.
6. Assists the Cardiologist and/or Radiologist or physician during special procedures and in the administration of opaque media via catheter or direct injection; assists during examination relative to the catheterization, filming, and monitoring of the patient.
7. Participates in the quality assurance program of the Department. Follows all hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
8. Assumes care for physical and psychological needs of patient during the special procedures; initiates life support measures for patients; if necessary, assists in "Code Blue" procedures during medical emergencies (knows CPR).
9. Completes appropriate forms at the start and end of any special procedures, including special procedures record sheet and Radiology requisition. Charges are appropriately recorded. Performs general office duties as requested.
10. Keeps area stocked at all times; cleans and disinfects equipment after each patient use; daily cleans special procedures room.
11. Demonstrates reliability when on-call or standby; maintains appropriate proximity and availability to the institution; reports to work as soon as possible when called in without questioning the need.
12. Works cooperatively, as part of the team, to maintain a work environment that promotes mutual respect and professionalism.
13. Coordinates Quality Improvement projects related to the Cardiac Cath Lab.
14. Organizes or presents departmental in-services and provides poster presentation.
15. Actively participates in the inventory process to include establishing par levels, evaluating new technology, seeking opportunities for cost savings and determining specific needs for the primary area of expertise.
16. Demonstrates knowledge of medications used related to the primary area of expertise.
17. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement.
18. Follows all safety rules while on job.
19. Is responsible for orientating, training and mentoring new employees in all aspects of the equipment for Cardiac Cath, EP and Radiology and the hospital with focus on safety and efficiency.
20. Performs other duties as requested.
21. Maintains membership in at least one Radiology Technologist Professional Organization.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Incumbents without CVIR certification will need to obtain within 18 months of tenure in role
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED: Ability to build and sustain interpersonal relationships
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.