Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist West Hospital is committed to leading medicine in West Houston, Katy and surrounding communities by delivering the Houston Methodist standard of exceptional safety, quality, personalized service and innovation. The growing campus offers nearly 200 beds, 16 operating rooms and over 1300 employees, with access to the most innovative medical and surgical care available, including robotic and minimally invasive surgery, full-spectrum heart care, state-of-the-art imaging, cancer care, labor and delivery with a level II neonatal ICU, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, outpatient rehabilitation and 24/7 emergency services.
The purpose of the Histology Assistant is to aid the Laboratory personnel in day-to-day operations of Histology. Essential Functions listed under Job Duties and Responsibilities below.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Prepares specimens in Histology for gross analysis. This includes: labeling slides and cassettes, logging specimens from histology forms, ordering correct procedures and preparing specimens for transport to main TMH Histology. EF
2. Assists the Pathologists in gross analysis and intraoperative consultations. EF
3. Assists in maintaining reagents and supply inventory. Changes and dates staining solutions on regular basis to ensure accuracy of stain. EF
4. Monitors and records maintenance checks and quality control for all histology equipment. EF
5. Files slides and blocks in numeric order. Assists in retrieval of slides and maintaining of log for outside consultations. EF
6. Assists with FNA and bone marrow procedures. EF
7. Maintains tissue inventory as well as tissue disposition. EF
8. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement and complies with the business practices standards for performance.
9. Demonstrates high standards in providing customer service/patient satisfaction.
10. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
· High School Diploma or Equivalent
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
· Ability to handle stressful situations
· Ability to communicate with all customers in a friendly and helpful manner
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.