Job Ref: 26489
Talent Area: Nursing Management
Houston Methodist West Hospital
Houston, TX 77094
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAYWork Week
Houston Methodist West Hospital is committed to leading medicine in West Houston, Katy and surrounding communities by delivering the Houston Methodist standard of exceptional safety, quality, personalized service and innovation. The growing campus offers nearly 200 beds, 16 operating rooms and over 1300 employees, with access to the most innovative medical and surgical care available, including robotic and minimally invasive surgery, full-spectrum heart care, state-of-the-art imaging, cancer care, labor and delivery with a level II neonatal ICU, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, outpatient rehabilitation and 24/7 emergency services.
The Nursing Manager is a registered nurse who has 24-hour comprehensive operational responsibility for the delivery and quality of patient care provided in the designated areas(s) of responsibility. The manager assists with developing and implementing performance initiatives to ensure optimal patient safety and outcomes and customer satisfaction. Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction, initiative, effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communications skills. Fosters interdepartmental/interdisciplinary collaboration. Participates in committees, representing unit and Nursing in a positive manner.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Prepares measurable goals and objectives that are consistent with The Methodist Hospital System priorities, and develops action plans for achieving goals, incorporating collaborative efforts if appropriate.
2. Ensures that unit consistently achieves desired outcomes for patient care, including high degree of patient and physician satisfaction.
3. Manages unit expenses within approved budget parameters.
4. Implements change, demonstrating the ability to motivate employees and follow through to ensure change in behavior has actually occurred.
5. Plans coverage of unit to maximize presence of management and staff.
6. Maintains ongoing interactions with patients, families, physicians, and staff on how to improve patient care and service provided.
7. Functions as role model to staff, reinforcing principles of service orientation and ensuring that the focus is always on improving patient care.
8. Demonstrates initiative in identifying developmental needs of staff and taking appropriate action, including collaboration with unit educator.
9. Collaborates with others to ensure unit systems are effective and consistent with other patient care unit systems.
10. Selects, retains, and effectively develops unit staff and management personnel, utilizing performance appraisals, corrective counseling, and commendations to achieve desired outcomes.
11. Responds to employee, patient and physician concerns, taking appropriate action and channeling concerns according to appropriate procedures.
12. Establishes effective, two way communication with staff.
13. Develops staffing plans and schedules to meet patient care needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness.
14. Demonstrates problem solving skills to include investigation, identification of cause(s) and development of corrective action, and submits reports which require minimal editing.
15. Demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values statement.
16. Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
17. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelors required. Masters preferred. One degree must be in Nursing.
Progressively responsible experience in a clinical setting for a minimum of 5 years. Leadership experience preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Registered Nurse with current Texas license. CPR certification and, for magnet designated hospitals in the system, an applicable magnet recognized certification must be obtained within 6 months (preferred at all other locations).
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Must be able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
2. Maintains knowledge base necessary to manage specific clinical area.
3. Computer skills: knowledge of hospital information systems and office applications.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.