Job Ref: 26494
Talent Area: Scheduling/Registration
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Pat Acc Serv-Registration
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: EVENING
Work Week: M - F; Could Change
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
SUMMARY The Patient Access Services Shift Coordinator is responsible for coordinating business activities and overseeing the day to day operations of an assigned shift in the Patient Access Services Department. The Shift Coordinator makes scheduling and work assignments for employees on the shift and makes appropriate adjustments. The Shift Coordinator is additionally accountable for customer and staff problem resolution on the assigned shift.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Organizes and oversees Patient Access Services activities on an assigned shift . Ensures smooth coordination with the Transfer Center, Room Control, Access Centers, Insurance Verification and Data Entry areas.
2. Serves as charge person on shift and makes decisions regarding waiving of deposits, accepting partial/reduced payments from patients and makes staffing decisions for the shift.
3. Monitors daily activities and alerts management of any potential issues regarding the timely clearance of services, room assignments, patient transfers, pre-certification, and customer or physician issues.
4. Maintains open communication with staff, physicians and other departments in resolving issues related to the access of health care.
5. Conducts random reviews of staff activities to ensure accuracy of information and compliance with established benchmarks and standards of day to day registrations, insurance verification, medical records and wait times.
6. Provides input regarding staff performance for probationary and annual appraisals.
7. Maintains and promotes confidentiality of patient information throughout the department by emphasizing the proper disposal of information and limiting access to authorized individual only.
8. Demonstrates the componets of the I CARE values statement.
9. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
10. Performs other related duties as direct.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS Bachelors Degree in Business or healthcare related area OR the equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS 3 years business office or customer service experience in a hospital setting; 1 of which was in a supervisory or lead worker capacity. 2 years experience performing admitting, registration, and insurance verification duties in a hospital business office.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED N/A
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED 1. Working knowledge of PC environment using Windows98/NT/2000, word processing/spreadsheet software. 2. Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. 3. Demonstrated leadership abilities. 4. Ability to work independently, to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, payers and outside agencies.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.