Job Ref: 26497
Talent Area: HIM/Medical Records
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Medical Records
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 73 operating rooms and over 5,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
SUMMARY The Operations Manager is responsible for managing staff and functions in a variety of operational areas within the Health Information Management Department. These areas include record processing (medical record prepping, scanning, and indexing), retention and outside storage; analysis of medical records for physician completion; physician notification and suspension; release of health information; and birth registration.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Responsible for coordinating, directing, and evaluating daily activities within 2 or more assigned sections of the HIM Department as described below in sections B. through F.
2. Selects, trains, schedules, motivates, supervises, and evaluates employees in assigned work sections; follows prescribed hospital processes for employee coaching, discipline and due process.
3. Develops and reports performance metrics for assigned work sections.
4. Ensures section goals are met by employees.
5. Performs/leads performance improvement activities that support operational efficiencies, data integrity and service quality.
6. Represents the HIM Department in various Hospital committees, taskforces or workgroups for activities related to assigned work sections.
7. Assists with development of HIM budget, policies and procedures, training materials, and presentations.
8. Release of Information and Customer.
9. Ensures health care information released by the department is timely and in accordance with Federal and State regulations, and hospital and department policies and procedures, including: a. Response to RACs, MACs, and any other entity responsible for health care payment or oversight; b. Response to court reporting agencies, subpoenas and court orders; and c. Liaison with the Hospital`s Office of General Counsel, System and Hospital Business Practices, and Risk.
10. Maintains and updates the HIM release of information manual and related forms, policies and procedures.
11. Serves as a resource for other Hospital departments for issues related to release of patient identifiable information.
12. Medical Record Processing and Re10tion. Ensures timely and accurate prepping, scanning and indexing of medical records into the Hospital`s medical record imaging system (McKesson`s Horizon Patient Folder).
13. Ensures medical records are retained in accordance with the TMHS record re10tion schedule.
14. Monitors receipt and accuracy of monthly off-site storage billing.
15. Serves as HIM resource for paper based scanning issues and other Hospital departments.
16. Record Analysis and Physician Record Completion
17. Ensures timely analysis of medical records for physician completion in accordance with The Joint Commission, Medicare Conditions of Participation and Rules and Regulations of the Medical Staff.
18. Assists in interpreting and monitoring The Joint Commission standards and Medicare Conditions of Participation related to information management and medical record documentation.
19. Assists in developing, administering, and monitoring compliance with medical record documentation policies and procedures in accordance with the above rules and regulations.
20. Manages activities related to physician notification of incomplete records; monitors timeliness of physician completion, oversees the physician suspension and reinstatement process.
21. Develops and presents reports related to physician compliance with medical record documentation and completion to targeted audiences.
23. Ensures timely completion of transcription functions, including monitoring transcription queues, importing and correction of reports, and monitoring of history and physical reports and operative reports.
24. Coordinates activities related to the transcription vendor with the HIM Application Specialist.
25. Birth Registration
26. Ensures timely and accurate registration of hospital births with the State of Texas.
28. Demonstrates the componets of the I CARE values statement.
29. Demonstrates Service Pride Standards.
30. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
31. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS Bachelor`s degree in health information management, health care informatics, computer science, statistics, or a related field.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS Minimum of 5 years management experience, of which 3 years were direct experience spent in health information management within an acute care hospital environment, preferably a teaching facility. Operational experience in key health information management functions, including record processing and re10tion, analysis of medical records for physician completion, physician notification and suspension, release of health information, and birth registration. Operational experience with medical record imaging and electronic health records, preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Advanced knowledge of Joint Commission and Medicare Conditions of Participation requirements related to information management and medical record documentation and content; proficiency in interpreting and implementing measures to comply with these requirements.
2. Advanced knowledge of federal and Texas laws related to release and retention of health information in a hospital environment.
3. Demonstrated strong leadership and management skills.
4. Ability to identify and resolve problems of varying degrees of complexity using strong analytical and logic skills.
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
6. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and attention to detail.
7. Demonstrated knowledge of multi-department and cross-functional project planning, project management, and change management.
8. Computer proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, and data management software programs.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.