Job Ref: 26572
Talent Area: Administrative/Clerical
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital
Sugar Land, TX 77479
Area/Department: Central Scheduling
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAYWork Week
M - F
Since 1998, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital has been serving Fort Bend and the surrounding counties. Residents have come to rely on a level of compassionate care and leading-edge technology that was once available only in the Texas Medical Center. With 243 licensed beds, 20 operating rooms and over 1,900 employees, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital was designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
SUMMARY: The Scheduler is responsible for scheduling and registering patients for multiple services, including but not limited to admissions and either surgery or diagnostic testing, utilizing computerized scheduling and registration systems with multiple software applications. The incumbent will be responsible for obtaining clinical information to schedule appropriately and secure the account. Obtaining and accurately inputting information to properly schedule services and register patients is a must for this position. The incumbent will also be responsible for performing the necessary financial clearance processes, i.e., eligibility, verification, pre-certification and pre-service collections, to secure the services to be provided. Professional and excellent customer service interactions required with all levels of staff, management, physicians, patients and families. This position may be located in clinical settings, interacting in-person with patients, physicians and clinicians, and/or in centralized scheduling and registration areas, including call center environments. Competency requirements for computer entry, as well as, insurance procedures will be maintained. The incumbent must have the ability to use analytical thinking, independent judgment and clinical knowledge to adjust service area schedules and accommodate special requests from internal and external customers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: 1. Demonstrates mastery of Ancillary and/or Operating Room scheduling process and software. Obtains and inputs accurate registration data, such as patient demographics, insurance information, and clinical data.
2. Schedules and registers multiple services with multiple departments utilizing computerized scheduling and registration systems. Balances departmental resources, utilization requirements and addresses physician/patient requests or needs.
3. Identifies and assigns correct medical record numbers.
4. Obtains required data to support hospital clinical/financial needs. Utilizes courteous and professional telephone techniques and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain rapport with patients, physicians/office staff and hospital personnel. Maintains patient confidentiality. Appropriately utilizes ACD telephone system, as applicable.
5. Communicates with other Patient Access Services areas, Utilization Review, and any other departments and/or offices, any problems or additional information needs for authorization, referral, or pre-certification.
6. Collates and prepares all pre-registered patients records for initiation into the facility.
7. Contributes to departmental and hospital patient satisfaction.
8. Communicates openly in a non-judgmental and professional demeanor during all interactions with customers and co-workers.
9. Participates in departmental and hospital performance improvement plan.
10. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Completes all hospital required and job related in-services and applies the information needed. Complies with applicable laws, regulation, guidelines and standards regarding safety and infection control issues.
11. Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Minimum college hours preferred plus Medical terminology experience and applicability.
1. 3 years of public contact experience with 2 years health care experience in Patient Access Services, primarily with surgery and ancillary scheduling and registration.
2. 2 years of experience contacting insurance providers and verifying insurance.
3. Familiarity with managed care contract requirements as they pertain to pre-cert and authorization processes.
4. Proficient in English, written and verbal
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.