Job Ref: 26620
Talent Area: Professional
Houston, TX 77054
Area/Department: Finance-Treasury Mgmt Service
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of 7 hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and six community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes a research institute, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 20,000 employees. FORBES magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of Best Employers in 2016. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.
Under the direction of the Supervisor, the Accountant is responsible for various duties, which include journal entry preparation, cash transaction analysis, account analysis, settling cash daily, audit schedule preparation, bank and investment manager fee reconciliation and payment, and preparation of daily, weekly and monthly cash and investment reporting for distribution to management.
The Accountant will become familiar with the HM corporate structure and its system of internal control. The Accountant will be required to interface with various HM departments (i.e., Information Technology, Internal Audit, Employee Benefits etc.) and external business partners (i.e., financial services vendors, actuaries, consultants, etc) The position also requires interface with external auditors to complete audit engagements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Perform daily cash position analysis of Houston Methodist,
2) Initiate, confirm and report on funds transfer activity via PC based communications for payments of bond interest, various taxes and benefit funding.
3) Audit, analyze and reconcile vendor invoices and process payments to Investment managers, commercial banks and trust custody vendors..
4) Prepare daily, weekly and monthly cash and investment reporting for distribution to management..
5) Prepare audit schedules for interim and annual audits as well as internal audit requests when needed.
6) Prepare assigned monthly accounting journal entries and perform G/L analysis on all assigned accounts.
7) Assist in identifying ways to streamline workload and in documenting departmental procedures and interfaces with other departments.
8) Perform other job related duties as assigned.
9) Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement.
10) Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
11) Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS Bachelors Degree with a major in Accounting or Finance required.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS 2 or more years accounting experience directly related to accounting or finance.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED Professional certification preferred (i.e.; CPA, CIA, etc.)
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED Must have a working knowledge of general software applications. Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications (i.e., word, excel, access, etc). Must possess good verbal and written communication skills
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.