Job Ref: 26660
Talent Area: Food Service
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Food&Nutr Serv
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: Varies
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The Cook is responsible for both hot and cold food production including seasoning, preparing, and cooking of meats, fish, fowl, vegetables, soup and sauces. Also includes the responsibilities of measuring and following recipes as well as garnishing and packaging. All food items are expected to be produced in a high quality manner in a high volume area. High level of customer satisfaction is expected. Methodist Policies and Procedures will be followed. Follows the appropriate ICARE and Service Pride standards that have been set forth by the Methodist Hospital. Performs other duties as assigned. Must adhere with the Food and Nutrition Services Standards of Appearance and comply with City of Houston Food Ordinances
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Monitors and records the temperatures of food and refrigeration.
2. Maintains the area so it complies with all regulatory agencies, including City of Houston Health Department, Fire Department, and JCAHO.
3. Prepares all hot and cold food items according to CBORD recipes, quantities
4. Ordered and proper plate garnishing. Responsible for maintaining portion control by fully utilizing the CBORD system recipes.
5. Reviews menus the day before to ensure supplies are in house. Utilizes time to do pre-preparation of food items to ensure menus are ready at the specified time.
6. Labels and dates all food items for storage. Ensures proper the rotation of food Items. Minimizes food waste through proper usage. Ensures all food beyond the expiration date is discarded.
7. Maintains clean orderly storage areas with all food items visible in clear covered storage containers.
8. Works in conjunction with the Cooks Helper and staff ensuring the food
9. Prepared is on time, high quality, and transferred efficiently.
10. Assists the Manager/Chef with new food items from the creation to making it a menu item.
High School diploma or GED equivalent desired
2 years food service experience required, heavy volume experience desired.
Knowledge of food service equipment and sanitation principles
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Texas Food Handlers Certificate through American National Standards Institute (ANSI) is required effective 9/1/2016.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Knowledge of buffet receptions, upscale plated menu items, volume batch cooking.
Knowledge of kitchen equipment
Ability to read, write, and speak basis English is desired
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.