Job Ref: 26788
Talent Area: Laboratory
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Anatomical Pathology
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Performs all repetitive tests which necessitate knowledge of routine and specialized histological techniques and demonstrates competency in the use of all routine and specialized histology -related equipment. Recognize and documents factors which directly affect daily histological procedures and results. Uses and monitors quality control programs and performs simple maintenance on routine and specialized histology-related instruments. Follows mandatory safety procedures and practices as outlined by accreditating agencies. Manages time efficiently; performs other duties as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Demonstrates knowledge and technical comptentency in all routine histological techniques to include accurate embedding techniques (orientation of tissue and embedding 1 tissue cassette at a time); production of quality histological slides (microtomy) for pathology diagnosis; the ability to correctly match embedded blocks to pre-labeled slides throughout the histological slide production procedure and the staining and sign-out of slides to staff pathologists. Demonstrates comptentency in the use of all routine histology-related equipment (embedding centers, microtomes, stainers, tissue processors, ovens) and follows established operating procedures and schedules for such equipment.
2. Demonstrates knowledge and technical comptentency in the following specialized histological techniques: accurate and timely preparation of cryosections; (orientation and freezing of tissue samples submitted for frozen sectioning and the proper microtomy of such tissue). Prepares optimally stained slides for special stains, immunofluoresence stains and enzyme histochemistry (prepares working and stock solutions and accurately selects control tissue slides that demonstrate the presence of microorganisms and enzymes). Performs multiple tasks in preparing quality immunohistochemistry slides (prepares antibody dilutions correctly, performs correct antigen retrieval step for different protocols, selects proper control tissue for each antibody, checks the staining reactivity for each prepared slide; checks and records the pH of buffers and other diluents, etc). Demonstrates comptentency in the use of all equipment and instruments related to specialized procedures (cryostats, special stainers, and immunostainers) and follows established operating procedures and schedules for such equipment.
3. Maintains documentation of work performed by initialing slides, tech sheets, and other AP records and WSV input via Cerner in routine histology; and documents work performed in specialized histology by compiling and initialing daily log sheets and WSV input via Cerner.
4. Performs, evaluates and documents routine equipment maintenanceand QC on all routine and specialized histology related equipment. Reports all problems to the specialist, coordinator and manager.
5. Recognizes problem occurrences, identifies causes, and takes corrective action to solve basic problems. Consults specialist, coordinator or manager if no present criteria are available.
6. Demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values and ServicePRIDEstatements.
7.. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
8. Manages time efficiently while on duty; including the performance of other duties as assigned.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.