Job Ref: 26789
Talent Area: Laboratory
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Core Laboratory
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: NIGHT
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
SUMMARY: Performs laboratory procedures that involve single and multi -step processes. Accurately processes, organizes, labels and transports specimens for laboratory testing. Inputs and extracts data from the laboratory computer system. Follows established procedures as set forth by Medicare and other regulatory agencies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Receives and triages specimens to be evaluated.
2. Demonstrates knowledge and competency using the Laboratory Information System to accurately register patients, receive specimens, or order tests as indicated on the requisition. Data must be complete and accurately entered to include appropriate footnotes, comments, order priorities, physician names, patient location, collection information, etc. Demonstrates competency in choosing the correct patient account to use for ordering tests. Distinguishes institutional accounts from regular patient accounts appropriately.
3. Processes specimens according to procedure for samples tested in Laboratory Medicine as well as samples forwarded to the Referral Testing department . Stat samples are handled expeditiously. Demonstrates a working knowledge of specimen requirements for testing such as serum, plasma or whole blood, tissue and body fluids. Labels documents specimen type and initials all aliquots and stores processed specimens at proper temperature.
4. Demonstrates proficiency in operating automated specimen processing instrumentation and documents maintenance performed.
5. Maintains thorough and complete documentation of work performed. Places Tech ID on all requisitions, lab orders, or worksheets handled. Files requisitions, reports and other pathology materials.
6. Performs and documents any processing equipment maintenance.
7. Scans requisitions as appropriate. Accesses and utilizes the Imaging system for requisition verification and Laboratory results.
8. Demonstrates knowledge of different specimen collection containers and media to assist in the distribution of supplies to patients, physician offices, nursing units and patient care areas.
9. Communicates with other laboratory personnel when specimens need to be transported to other areas.
10. Demonstrates excellent customer service to all internal and external customers. Communicates clearly and professionally with patients, nurses, physicians, visitors, and coworkers in a courteous, friendly, and helpful manner. All phone conversation is professional. Phones are answered promptly using clear speech and good listening skills. Utilizes ¿Readback¿ guidelines when taking verbal orders.
11. Recognizes problem occurrences, identifies causes, and takes corrective action to solve basic problems. Consults coordinator or manager if no preset criteria are available.
12. Demonstrates the components of I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
13. Demonstrates ServicePRIDE standards.
14. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace. Keeps work area neat, clean and well stocked.
15. Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Utilizes spare time to seek out and complete extra tasks.
High school diploma or G.E.D.
Previous data entry experience required.
CERTIFICATE, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Must obtain a satisfactory score on a data entry skills test administered by Human Resources.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.