Job Ref: 26842
Talent Area: HIM/Medical Records
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Medical Records - HIM-SPG
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Oversees the day-to-day operation of the Release of Information area. Ensures Federal
and state regulations, hospital and department procedures are followed pertaining to the release of health care information. Responsible for working with internal customers to answer record request for audits, RACs, MACS, ADRs, Humana and others. Communicates the daily work status to the Manager. Prioritizes and assigns workflow to release staff according to department requirements. Serves as a resource for staff in resolving customer complaints with release of information and addresses any escalated customer issues and complaints which staff cannot resolve. Informs manager of unexpected or difficult situations needing immediate attention. Provides initial and ongoing training for their section members, tracks employee productivity and submits a biweekly report to manager. Assists the manager in developing a staff schedule that ensures continued section throughput and coverage. Collects statistical data for monthly productivity reports. Responsible for the section¿s supply management. Acts as a liaison between management and staff.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
Preschooler (3-6 years)
School Age (6-12 years)
Adolescence (12-18 years)
Young Adult (19-40 Years)
Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
Mature Adult (65 years and older)
System and department specific ICARE values
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to the hospital¿s Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation.
PEOPLE - 40%
1. Serves as liaison with court reporting agencies, responds to subpoenas and court orders relating to medical record information, monitors and completes depositions. (EF)
2. Coordinates activities with other sections within the department. (EF)
3. Trains section staff on procedures, effective communication, and customer service. (EF)
4. Serves as a resource for staff in resolving customer complaints with release of information and addresses any escalated customer issues and complaints which staff cannot resolve. (EF)
5. Assists section manager in developing new policies and procedures within the assigned
6. areas of responsibility. (EF)
7. Provides input to assist section manager in evaluating employee performance. (EF)
8. Demonstrates all components of Houston Methodist¿s ICARE values.
FINANCE - 5%
1. Monitors staffing and recommends adjustment in staff work assignments and schedules to support fluctuations in work volumes and ensure efficient labor cost utilization. (EF)
2. Responsible for ensuring request for payers are answered in a timely manner, and all requested information is sent to the requestor.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
1. Ensures patient identifiable health information released by Release of Information staff is in accordance with Federal and State regulations, and hospital and department policies and procedures. (EF)
2. Monitors and reports staff performance metrics of productivity and quality on a routine basis. (EF)
3. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
SERVICE - 25%
1. Arranges employee schedules to ensure appropriate section coverage at all times. (EF)
2. Monitors work production and work queues to ensure that appropriate turnaround times and deadlines are met in accordance with internal and external customer needs; redistributes work as necessary. (EF)
3. Monitors billing and receivables from Release of Information activities. (EF)
4. Develops and maintains effective working relationships with internal and external customers to meet deadlines in responding to audit requests, inclusive of RACs, MACs, ADRs, Humana and other payers. (EF)
5. Maintains an organized data base of all external requests.
6. Efficient in answering payment denial request for additional documentation. (EF)
7. Provides training to other Hospital departments on release of information processes and handling denials and special request for payers.
8. Monitors staff work assignments; seeks Manager guidance and direction for reassignment of duties to meet deadlines.
9. Responds to subpoenas and court orders for medical records by representing the hospital and department in court appearances. (EF)
10. Demonstrates ability to perform all functions within the work section(s); effectively performs these functions to assist staff as necessary based on staffing and work volume needs.(EF)
11. Assures that all tools are available for employees to perform daily tasks. Promptly reports malfunctioning equipment for maintenance.(EF)
12. Demonstrates all components of The Methodist Experience Service Standards.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 5%
1. Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility in the face of changing demands.
2. Shows willingness to perform additional tasks as assigned. (EF)
3. Accepts feedback and changes behavior appropriately.
4. Demonstrates initiative by such actions as taking on additional tasks and contributing ideas and suggestions to improve work processes.
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Houston Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
High school diploma or GED; Associates Degree preferred
3 years of commensurate experience required or
RHIT or RHIA credentialing with one (1) year of commensurate experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
RHIT or RHIA credentialing preferred
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Demonstrates and is able to teach effective communication and complaint resolution.
2. Strong oral and written communication skills.
3. Knowledge of all of the components of a medical record.
4. Knowledge of State and Federal laws which governs Release of Patient Identifiable Health Information.
5. Must be able to type 40 words per minute with extensive PC knowledge and skills that are verifiable through testing or previous job experience.
6. Knowledge of computerized imaging equipment.
7. Knowledge of standard office equipment (photocopier, calculators, fax machine, microfilm, etc.).
8. General leadership skills (communication, problem solving, delegation, customer service and dedication).
9. Knowledge of State and Federal laws related to Health Information Management.
10. Team player with good people skills.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.