Job Ref: 26873
Talent Area: RN - Med/Surg
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Nursing Unit-Fondren 12
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: NIGHT
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 73 operating rooms and over 5,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
SUMMARY The RN I is a staff nurse, who as an entry level professional nurse demonstrates the ability to continuously progress in ability to care for increasingly complex patients. Professionals at this level function at the Novice to Advanced Beginner stages according to Benner`s model of clinical practice. The RN I provides direct patient care and participates in unit initiatives and shared governance. The RN I receives coaching from experienced Registered Nurses and benefits from their practice. Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to the hospital`s Pillars of Excellence: People (providing direction and plans, leading and managing people, ICARE values) Service (patient/customer satisfaction, interpersonal effectiveness) Quality and Safety (making judgments and decisions) Finance (driving for performance excellence) Innovation and Growth (leading improvement and innovation, role-specific expertise)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. LEADERSHIP a. Provides care to increasingly complex patients with support of more experienced staff. (Quality/Safety) b. Participates in unit projects focused on improvement in patient care and shared governance activities. (Growth/Innovation) c. Uses resources effectively and efficiently. (Finance) d. Contributes to meeting departmental financial target on unit-based scorecard. (Finance)
2. PATIENT/FAMILY-CENTERED CARE a. Plans and updates plan of care in partnership with the patient and family using the nursing process, incorporating the patient`s priorities and abilities. (Service) b. Provides patient teaching based on learning needs, uses appropriate resources, incorporating planning for care after discharge. (Service) c. Advocates on patient/family`s behalf to identify and help resolve clinical or ethical concerns. (Service) d. Contributes to meeting departmental target for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard. (Service)
3. CLINICAL JUDGEMENT/CRITICAL THINKING a. Follows the nursing process in providing care. (Quality/Safety) b. Plans for routine events and manages emergent situations in collaboration with the healthcare team. (Quality/Safety) c. Contributes to meeting departmental targets for quality and safety measures on unit-based scorecard . (Quality/Safety)
4. COMMUNICATION a. Communicates in an active, positive and effective manner to all health care team members and reports pertinent patient care and family data in a comprehensive and unbiased manner, lis10s and responds to the ideas of others. (People) b. Uses a structured format for regular communication with patients and families, such as hourly rounding. (Quality/Safety) c. Develops a therapeutic relationship with patients and families; communicates compe10ce and confidence to patients and health care team. (Service)
5. TEAMWORK a. Manages usual patient assignment and other unit demands, completes patient care responsibilities in timely manner with accurate documentation. (Quality/Safety) b. Requests help when needed and accepts constructive feedback. (People) c. Supportive of change initiatives. Adapts to unexpected changes. (Growth/Innovation)
6. SAFETY a. Reports ¿near misses¿ as well as errors promptly and consis10tly to improve systems and processes and identify trends. (Quality/Safety) b. Stays focused on task at hand and plans care to limit distractions. (Quality/Safety) c. Implements unit and hospital initiatives to achieve National Patient Safety Goals. (Quality/Safety)
7. EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE/RESEARCH a. Participates in unit evidence-based practice or performance improvement projects. (Innovation/Growth) b. Identifies areas of practice that should be updated with current research. (Quality/Safety) c. Uses evidence-based practice to support care and has a strong understanding of designated core measures. (Quality/Safety)
8. STAFF EDUATION a. Assesses own compe10ce on continuous basis and identifies learning needs. (Growth/Innovation) b. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies. (Growth/Innovation)
9. PROFESSIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS a. Maintains level of professional contributions as defined in Clinical Career Path program guide.
10. Demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values statement.
11. Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
12. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing Bachelor`s degree required for new hires at TMH and MWHH, preferred at other TMH system hospitals 10 CEU`s annually (5 within specialty)
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS N/A
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED Registered Nurse with current Texas license. Basic Life Support (BLS), certification must be approved by the American Heart Association Other certifications as required by unit/service.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED 1. Must be able to perform skills and competencies as defined in orientation checklist and annual departmental competency checklist if applicable. 2. Basic computer skills. 3. Must be able to write and speak effectively in English Competencies, skills, training as listed in Policy NU-903, Competence of Nursing Staff and HR 07 Competency Assessment¿
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.