Job Ref: 26950
Talent Area: Professional
Houston, TX 77005
Area/Department: Foundation Administration
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of 7 hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and six community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes a research institute, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 20,000 employees. FORBES magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of Best Employers in 2016. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.
Under the direct supervision of the Director, Development Communications, the Senior/Lead Development Writer will plan, write, edit and execute communications such as stewardship reports, proposals, fundraising marketing materials, cases for support, direct mail appeals, brochures, newsletters and campaign-related material. The incumbent will be expected to work independently and lead junior level writers and contract writers to gather, organize and analyze information from multiple sources to accomplish project goals in a timely manner. This position works closely with the Director of Development Communications to support the mission and fundraising priorities of The Methodist Hospital Foundation. This position also serves as liaison between the Foundation and the Marketing and Media departments to ensure integrated communications for Houston Methodist Hospital. Additionally, the Senior/Lead Development Writer will coach, mentor and coordinate development writers and assist with the evaluation of their performance, as determined by the Directorof Development Communications.
System and department specific ICARE values
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
PEOPLE – 15%
FINANCE – 15%
QUALITY/SAFETY – 30%
SERVICE – 20%
GROWTH/INNOVATION – 20%
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. Houston Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, public relations, marketing or a related field required.
7+ years of varied writing and editing experience and 4+ years project coordination experience. Experience in health care and knowledge of development and marketing communications preferred. Demonstrated results/competence in grant/proposal writing, promotional/technical writing, publications and project management.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
· Superior writing, editing and proofreading skills.
· Proficiency with various types of writing and at least one style guide (e.g., Associated Press, AMA, etc.).
· Competency in interviewing, research and analysis.
· Strong organizational and project management skills.
· Ability to meet deadlines, handle simultaneous assignments and work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills to facilitate dealing effectively with all levels of individuals inside and outside the Hospital.
· Ability to work both independently and as a team lead.
· Ability to effectively mentor and coordinate the activities of less experienced writing staff, on a project-by-project basis.
· Self-motivation, initiative, discipline, creativity, adaptability, the ability to handle criticism gracefully, a willingness to learn, the desire to excel and demonstrated leadership skills.
· Experience in working with external design and printing firms.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat and Internet usage.
· Knowledge of desktop publishing, with proficiency in at least one publishing software package (e.g., Quark, InDesign, etc.). Knowledge of Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge fundraising software or other donor tracking software.
Professional office environment
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.