Job Ref: 26979
Talent Area: Imaging Services
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Cardio Diag-Nuclear
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The Lead Technologist functions as the lead person for a specific area/modality generally for an assigned shift and in this capacity performs lead job duties and/or regularly leads projects or performs specialized responsibilities as a regular part of their normal job responsibilities. In addition to the lead responsibilities also functions at a Technologist II level. Serves as the liaison between management, staff and physicians for routine matters as the primary point of contact for resolving questions and issues for Technologist I and II jobs as well as support staff, resulting in the delivery of exceptional patient care and adherence to standards of practice for optimal patient safety, quality outcomes, and customer service. Duties may be varied and may include many of the following: organize work schedules, make work assignments, review and edit time cards for accuracy, conduct quality assurance audits of staff performance, develop and implement quality improvement activities, train and mentor staff, provide feedback on staff performance and developmental needs, participate in the development of skills and performance of staff, lead and regularly perform special projects, collect/analyze/report on data, prepare reports on performance and metrics, and other responsibilities of a similar nature and level.
As an experienced and fully competent Technologist, completes a variety of routine to complex nuclear medicine procedures of high difficulty. Works independently exercising sound judgment, executing above average clinical skills on challenging diagnostic procedures and patient care situations.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Consistently demonstrates our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to Houston Methodist¿s Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation.
1. Promotes a positive work environment and leads the team to be dynamic and a focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Role models to team members effective communication skills, assisting in their development of such skills. EF
2. Orients, guides and mentors team members consisting of Nuclear Medicine Technologist I and II¿s, students and support staff, to help build confidence and competency in skills, knowledge and abilities. EF
3. Effectively implements protocols and objectives with team members to result in optimization of staff performance, teamwork, patient safety, and customer service. EF
1. Performs Nuclear Medicine procedures. EF
2. Provides care for the physical needs of patients by executing various nuclear medicine concepts to maximize performance. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired imaging results and recognizes complications / limitations associated with certain procedures. Proactively identifies how to address these for optimum outcomes. EF
3. Serves as liaison between team members, management and physicians, resolving routine matters for the shift/modality. Assists physicians during procedures. EF
4. Monitors and adjusts activities to ensure optimum patient throughput and patient experience.
1. Follows radiation safety standards and conducts all imaging procedures accordingly. Properly utilizes patient radiation protection and immobilization during diagnostic procedures. Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures compliance with infection control procedures. Complies with job, departmental and hospital safety standards, practices and policies. EF
2. Identifies opportunities for corrective action and process improvement providing recommendations, and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. Reports ¿near misses¿ and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Provides feedback to management on team member performance and conduct. EF
3. Conducts quality audits on equipment, processes, outcomes and team member performance. Documents, develops and evaluates processes and procedures. EF
4. Assists with implementation and education of departmental based safety initiatives, standards of practice and protocols. Develops skills of team members and continually assists with improving skills, performance and outcomes. EF
1. Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered. EF
2. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks and provides leadership to team members on effective and efficient utilization of time. Accurately reviews and edits team member¿s time cards for management approval.
1. Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities.
2. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Technologist.
3. Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by engaging students and co-workers (Technologist I¿s, II¿s and support staff) in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with business objectives. EF
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Graduate of an American Medical Association (AMA) approved Nuclear Medicine Technology Program
At least 3 years experience as a Nuclear Medicine Technologist. Prior experience in a lead role, or HM experience and performance that demonstrates leadership abilities.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
American Registry of Radiologic Technologist in Nuclear Medicine (ARRT (NM)) or Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification (NMTCB)
Registration as a Medical Radiologic Technologist (MRT-GC) thru the Texas Medical Board
American Heart Association BLS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.