Job Ref: 27006
Talent Area: Surg Tech
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: OR Services - Dunn
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
**FULL-TIME / DAYS**
The Surgical Technician II demonstrates proficient knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated tasks associated with the safe and efficient operating room support functions and related procedures. Records data established by policy and procedure and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. The Surgical Tech II is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions and practices relationship centered care in concert with the Methodist Values.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintains and accurately processes and updates surgeon preference cards.
2. Participants in restocking of supplies.
3. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves, and manages multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision.
4. Demonstrates the componets of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
5. Demonstrates the Service Pride standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go to above and beyond for 1 patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
6. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the work place.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
Successful completion of an accredited or Technician program or equivalency required.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS 18 months of experience as a Surgical Technician required Mastery in a minimum of 1 or more service lines.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED Must be certified by the Surgical Technologist Association or meet the grandfather clause. Grandfather clause: The bill includes an extensive grandfather clause exempting all individuals employed to practice surgical technology in a health care facility before Sept. 1, 2009. The clarification notes that legislation does not state employed "on" Sept. 1, 2009, but rather "before that date. A surgical technologist who was employed before Sept. 1, 2009, may remain employed as a surgical technologist without meeting the certification requirement. American Heart Association BLS required.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED 1. Must pass and demonstrate skills and competency upon clinical orientation to the unit. 2. Must be able to write and speak effectively in English. 3. Knowledge of Medical terminology required
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.