Job Ref: 22770
Talent Area: Maintenance/Construction
Houston Methodist The Woodlands
The Woodlands, TX 77385
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist The Woodlands will be the eighth in the Houston Methodist system, offering The Woodlands community a full-service, acute care hospital with many of the same services as our flagship hospital in the Texas Medical Center. The $380 million campus will feature a new 187-bed, 470,000-square-foot facility.
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, located at the intersection of TX 242 and I-45, is scheduled to open in July 2017. Construction includes a 150,000-square-foot medical building, which opened March 2016. The Medical Office Building 1 includes a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center & Infusion Center, Orthopedics & Sports Medicine, Wellness Services, Outpatient Laboratory and Therapy, in addition to multi-specialty physician practices.
The Director of Environmental Services reports to the VP of Operations and is responsible for the planning, organization, development and direction for the overall operation of the Enviornmental Services Department. All department functions and operations must be managed and achieved in accordance with all JCAHO and federal, state, and local standards and guidelines to assure that the highest degree of quality patient care is maintained at all times
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Leads Environmental Services and Linen staff in the fulfilling all department goals and objectives within budget, with quality and on schedule.
1. Manages a staff which involves direct and indirect responsibilities for interviewing, selection, training, motivating, wage and salary administration, performance appraisal, developing policies and developing procedures to ensure goal achievement.
2. Evaluates safe work practices in job performance reviews.
B. Directs the responsible care and use of supplies, equipment, facilities, etc. and maintains or improves the sensory appearance of all patient, public, and private areas, and performs regular inspections of these areas for sanitation, order, safety and proper performance of assigned duties.
1. Performs regular inspections of patient, public, and private areas for sanitation, order, safety, and comfortable environment.
2. Assures that Environmental Services and Linen staff follows established safety regulations in the use of equipment and supplies at all times.
3. Inspects all department storage rooms, utility and janitorial closet, etc., for upkeep and supply control.
4. Requisitions all housekeeping and linen supplies and equipment and maintains adequate inventory levels to provide a clean, safe and comfortable environment.
5. Effectively and timely prepares and plans the Environmental Services budget to meet the equipment, supply and man power needs of the department.
6. Actively partners with the various hospital key management personnel and hospital Safety Officer to ensure a clean, orderly, safe and comfortable environment.
7. Directs all activities involving control, compliance, and disposal of hazardous materials and is a member of the Hazardous Materials subcommittee of the EOC.
C. Develops and maintains written policy and procedures for housekeeping.
1. Communicates with staff and ley management personnel to adequately plan for housekeeping activities and linen inventory.
2. Coordinates Environmental Services/Linen activities with other hospital units.
3. Works closely with the House Supervisor /Bed Control nurse to promptly respond to room requests according to hospital policies.
4. Coordinates repair needs with Facilities Management and other appropriate departments.
D. Performs other job duties and projects as directed.
1. Seeks out new methods and principles to improve Enviromental Services function and incorporates them into existing processes.
2. Serves on assigned committees of the facility and provides written or verbal reports of Building Services’ activities as required by the committee's guidelines or direction.
3. Participates in continuing education opportunities for personal growth and development.
E. Demonstrates the components of the ICARE Values statement and complies with Business Practices standards for performance.
F. Demonstrates ServicePride Standards. Concerns or complaints are resolved with a sense of urgency by initiating appropriate recovery strategies. Acts as a liaison between all shifts, maintaining open lines of communication between staff and management.
G. Follows all safety rules on the job and promotes an environment of safety awareness in housekeeping. Proactively seeks ways to make a safer working environment.
A minimum of a bachelors degree in Business Administration, Facilities Management, Hospital Administration, Environmental Studies, is required.
A minimum of 10 years Environmental Services experience preferred. A minimum of 5 -7 years management experience is required. Experience in a hospital setting is preferred, but Hotel/Hospitality experience is acceptable. A knowledge of JCAHO, OSHA, and Infection Control guidelines is desirable.
Must possess strong leadership skills and willingness to work harmoniously within a team environment. Must be adept at leading professional and non-professional personnel. Good human relation skills, strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively deal with people at different organizational levels both inside and outside the hospital. Must have well developed problem solving skills and ability to develop conceptual alternatives. Must possess the ability to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing Environmental Services practices.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Spanish speaking desirable
Indoor Work – Minimal Travel
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.