Job Ref: 26921
Talent Area: Maintenance/Construction
Houston Methodist The Woodlands
The Woodlands, TX 77385
Area/Department: Biomedical Engineering
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist The Woodlands will be the eighth in the Houston Methodist system, offering The Woodlands community a full-service, acute care hospital with many of the same services as our flagship hospital in the Texas Medical Center. The $380 million campus will feature a new 187-bed, 470,000-square-foot facility.
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, located at the intersection of TX 242 and I-45, is scheduled to open in July 2017. Construction includes a 150,000-square-foot medical building, which opened March 2016. The Medical Office Building 1 includes a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center & Infusion Center, Orthopedics & Sports Medicine, Wellness Services, Outpatient Laboratory and Therapy, in addition to multi-specialty physician practices.
Works under minimal supervision. Primarily does repairs and inspections of patient care equipment for safety and performance, and documents findings. Instructs clinical personnel in the proper operation of patient care equipment. Monitors the work of Biomedical Equipment Technician I and provides on-the-job training.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Performs operational, safety, and performance tests of clinical equipment according to manufacturer's specifications and established policies and equipment maintenance standards.
2) Performs repair and calibration of clinical equipment.
3) Organizes and coordinates maintenance activities and related documentation.
4) Provides in-service training for medical staff and clinical personnel on the operation of clinical equipment.
5) Recommends or establishes inventory of replacement parts and accessories for clinical equipment.
6) Evaluates and recommends modifications to clinical equipment.
7) Maintains operational status of test equipment and tools.
8) Identifies and reports unsafe or malfunctioning equipment and unsafe operational practices to department management.
9) Participates in the selection and installation of new clinical equipment.
10) Provides on the job training for BMET Trainees, BMET I, and contract personnel
11) Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement.
12) Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
13) Performs other job related duties as assigned.
14) Maintains high customer satisfaction.
Certification from the International Commission on Certification of Clinical Engineers and Biomedical Equipment Technicians, or degree from an accredited college or university, with experience as indicated in the table:
A.A.S. Degree or Military Equivalent 4 years
B.S. Degree 2 years
Certification 2 years
Experience in above table refers to duties and responsibilities described above.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Oral and written communication and interpersonal relationship skills, technical judgment, knowledge of JCAHO, FDA, AAMI, AHA, and ECRI standards and practices.
Skilled in the use of standard and specialized test equipment and tools used for the maintenance of clinical equipment.
Skilled in diagnostic troubleshooting of clinical equipment.
On the job training necessary:
a. Continuing Education Courses
b. Skill in using computerized Equipment Management System
Equipment maintenance shop, operating rooms, intensive care units and other patient care locations. Work hazards are those associated with patient care environment, including infections, and those associated with repair of electronic equipment, including electrical shock, burns, and injury from tools and equipment.
Exposure to blood and body fluids. Follows Infection Control procedure, including Universal Blood and Body Fluid Precautions. Hepatitis B vaccine offered.
Overtime is sometimes required.
Uniform requirement: Slacks, dress shirt and tie or scrub clothes. Follows OR Scrub Attire procedure.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.