Job Ref: 27113
Talent Area: RN - Med/Surg
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Nursing Unit-Main 5
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAYWork Week
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The RN Primary Charge Nurse is an experienced clinician who functions at the Competent stage of Benner's model of clinical practice. The Charge Nurse may provide direct patient care effectively and efficiently to a patient assignment which may include patients with varied and complex needs. The Primary Charge Nurse is responsible for leading patient care provided by department personnel. Actively role models and coaches the behaviors associated with the Leadership, Art and Science of Nursing. Creates an environment for delivery of safe patient care. Assists others in developing their skills and knowledge. This role leads the overall operations of the unit during their assigned times. The Primary Charge Nurse practices patient and family centered care in concert with the Methodist Hospital's values.
1. Identifies opportunities for professional growth of unit staff and peers. (EF)
2. Coaches staff if documentation deficiencies are identified. (EF)
3. Clearly conveys information and ideas to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message. (EF)
4. Interacts with others in a respectful manner. (EF)
5. Demonstrates excellent communication skills when interacting with all hospital staff, patients and physicians. (EF)
6. Coaches staff to promote effective and efficient communication with patient and families on the assigned shift. Acts as a mentor and role model to staff regarding effective communication. (EF)
7. Establishes courses of actions for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently with effective prioritization skills and the ability to determine tasks and identify appropriate resources. (EF)
8. Anticipates the needs of the staff members and proactively offers assistance or supplies. (EF)
9. Mentors students, provides oversight for students/new employee/ preceptorships. (EF)
10. Provides input into the staff performance appraisals.
11. Communicates to patients and families regarding their plan of care.
1. Provides input into unit resource utilization including unit capital and operational budget needs. (EF)
2. Contributes to meeting departmental financial target. (EF)
3. Oversees shift by shift resource utilization through the allocation of staff, supplies and contributions to the patient throughput.
1. Facilitates seamless patient flow to/from/through the department. (EF)
2. Works closely with the Administrative Coordinator and bed management regarding timely patient placement. (EF)
3. Ensures a positive and safe environment for staff by leading the delivery of seamless quality family centered care throughout the continuum of care. (EF)
4. Assist with coordinating emergency patient situations; such as Rapid Response Team or Code Blue Event. (EF)
5. Ability to proactively recognize a situation in advance and determine a plan of action for controlling, maintaining situation or eliminating problem. (EF)
6. Attends daily multidisciplinary quality patient rounds. Ensures that follow-up has been implemented on any concerns or issues identified by the team. (EF)
7. Ensures the patient plan of care is accurate and timely. (EF)
8. Demonstrates expertise in operating the electronic medical record. (EF)
9. Makes staffing assignments according to the skill level of the nurse and the complexity of the patient. Reviews staffing levels on an ongoing basis during the assigned shift. (EF)
10. Contributes to meeting departmental targets for quality and safety measures. (EF)
11. Identifies issues, problems and opportunities and determines whether action is needed. (EF)
12. Formulates clear decision criteria; evaluates options by considering implications and consequences; chooses an effective option. (EF)
13. Manages complex patient assignment as needed. (EF)
14. Demonstrates effective collaboration with other departments regarding patient process issues. (EF)
15. Reports incidents regarding patient safety in PSN. (EF)
16. Recommends and leads improvements inpatient safety related processes at the unit level or service line level. (EF)
17. Audits adherence to unit and hospital initiatives and goals. (EF)
18. Maintains clinical expertise at the bedside focusing on key areas of priority eliminating/decreasing HAI¿s (BSI, CAUTI, CLABSI, etc.) (EF)
19. Demonstrates highly developed assessment skills; contributes to policies, procedure and protocols. (EF)
20. Identifies opportunities for nursing practice changes. Researches the change and presents solutions to shared governance. (EF)
21. Ensures that documentation regarding patient CORE measures and SCIP Protocols and other quality measures are accurately documented on a daily basis including audits, required changes, and follow up. (EF)
22. Follow all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and correct minor hazards.
23. Follow up/facilitate discharge phone calls.
1. Ensures that the customer's perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customer¿s and own organization's needs. (EF)
2. Implements patient service rounds ensuring that the patients are receiving the highest quality and safe patient care. (EF)
3. Resolves patient or family concerns or complaints. (EF)
4. Contributes to meeting departmental target for patient satisfaction. (EF)
1. Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one¿s area and other areas, teams, departments, units or organization to help achieve business goals. (EF)
2. Reads and communicates evidence-based practice literature in nursing and related disciplines. (EF)
3. Identifies own learning needs, consults with the healthcare team and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. (EF)
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Graduate of an accredited Nursing School
Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree required
At least 18 months Clinical Nursing experience required with a minimum of 1 year as a Charge Nurse/Relief Charge Nurse or other leadership position.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Registered Nurse with current Texas license
American Heart Association BLS certification
Magnet recognized Professional certification is strongly preferred and required within 6 months of hire
15 Continuing Education Hours are required annually
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Must be able to perform skills and competencies as defined in orientation checklist and annual departmental competency checklist if applicable
- Basic computer skills
- Must be able to write and speak effectively in English
- Competencies, skills, training as listed according to applicable Nursing and HR policies and procedures
- Must satisfy the annual requirements for an RN II, including contribution points (3 points annually)
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.